Model Cars Magazine Forum

After getting bogged down in several big rig builds, I decided to tear open a Moebius 69 F-100. I wanted to make a few changes, as in turn it into an F-350. I knew the frame was bigger, and after some digging, I found some frame specs. I added styrene strip to the bottom of the frame to bring it up to size. This made all of the mounting tabs unusable, but no biggie. I lengthened the wheelbase(not quite to F-350 standards, but close enough), and modified the bed for the look I wanted. I didnt want a generic wrecker body, I had envisioned the stock bed with booms. The dually fenders are from the AMT TUFF Truck kit. The booms and tower are from a 1/34 Diamond T diecast.The wheels are from the snap Dodge kit. Roof light are from Ford shorthauler kit. Thats all for now. I havent decided on a powerplant, or rear end yet. 

Very nice! I drove a 69 with a Holmes bed on it for many years where I used to work. I am hoping to build a replica of it one day. It had a 390 that the boss' son built and if you could keep the front wheels on the ground, it would pull whatever you put behind it. Looking forward to seeing more of this one!

Thanks guys, I always appreciate the kind words. This is pretty much how the truck is going to look. Theres not going to be a ton of scratchbuilding on this. Im going to put some diamond plate on the bed floor, and build a push bumper. I need to source an orange lightbar from somewhere. My plan is to use the kit decals to make it a Ford dealership wrecker. 

Thanks guys, I always appreciate the kind words. This is pretty much how the truck is going to look. Theres not going to be a ton of scratchbuilding on this. Im going to put some diamond plate on the bed floor, and build a push bumper. I need to source an orange lightbar from somewhere. My plan is to use the kit decals to make it a Ford dealership wrecker. 

As far as lightbars are concerned, if you are building this one old school, the one that we had as well as many of that day simply had the amber "bubble gum machine" light on top. We replaced ours in the 90's with a short lightbar when we could no longer source parts for the old one. If you decide on a lightbar though, let me know, I may have one.

Thanks guys. Can anyone help me find an accurate rear end for this thing? Im assuming the F-350s had a Dana 60, 80? 

Brian, I think I want a rectangular light bar for the roof. Would you happen to have one?

As far as lightbars are concerned, if you are building this one old school, the one that we had as well as many of that day simply had the amber "bubble gum machine" light on top. We replaced ours in the 90's with a short lightbar when we could no longer source parts for the old one. If you decide on a lightbar though, let me know, I may have one.

Thanks guys. Can anyone help me find an accurate rear end for this thing? Im assuming the F-350s had a Dana 60, 80? 

Brian, I think I want a rectangular light bar for the roof. Would you happen to have one?

I have one of the Jetsonic style light bars. The lenses are clear and would have to be painted amber. It is still in a sealed bag. I checked and my other lightbars are either blue or red.

Jetsonic style:

light_bar_jet_sonic.thumb.jpg.dab51b59d5

Easiest source for the big dana would be any of amt's 70's F350 series, ie-super stones 4x4. If you don't have one, I can send you one...  ^_^ 

mike