Model Cars Magazine Forum

what not to do

cobramike

These pics are "what not to do" when using a dehydrator to dry the paint on your model. My dehydrator has 5 trays, I used the lowest tray for the body...WRONG PLACE TO PUT IT!
This almost made me cry!  At first I thought that this might have been a godsend thinking that I could go ahead and put this body on the frame...WRONG! :wacko::angry::rolleyes:
Anyone need some extra polystyrene? 

merc%203_zpsticn6dvp.jpg

merc%201_zpsgx8q4cly.jpg

merc%202_zpsjfslwadf.jpg

Edited by cobramike
added more words

Does tha food dehydrator dry the paint quicker so you can wet sand or shoot clear sooner? Does it cure the paint?

Thanks for the question, yes, it drys the paint as if it was 1:1 like they do in a real auto body paint booth. With Enamel it can take considerable time to dry even here in dry Colorado, with the dehydrator it cuts the drying time dramatically. You can wet sand etc normally in one day, tops 2. without it your looking at a week for the paint to completely degas. I have been using a dehydrator for about 5 years now and this is the first time that it has done this.    

Looks like not all dehydrators are equal.  I have a small round one and the temperature doesn't get any higher in it than around 120 deg. F.  Plenty safe for polystyrene and resins (at least all the ones I stuffed in it).

Mine is a small round one as well, I think I got it from Ron Popeil back in the days when he was hawking them on late nite TV.  I have never had this happen before, but I know what I did wrong, I placed the body on the base tray just above the heating coil, then like a idiot I started to walk away  (this was in my work shed) but had a paper towel so I just slung it without realizing that it had landed on top of the dehydrator there by holding in too much heat. When I went back out to get the body about an hour later and I saw the paper on the top covering the vents I knew I was in trouble!  

Yeah ,I'm thinking donor kit for a sedan delivery

Thanks for the great idea, well I dug out a old delivery van I had that I had done many years ago that was in pretty sad shape, got the body off and tossed it in some brake fluid for 4 days, washed it clean and now back to putting this together. I think it's going to be a good one!

Mike sorry to see this happen...I use badly damaged bodies,etc. for junkyard dioramas...its just a thought so its not a complete waste. One like that could be used for a creek diorama of a old car left there to hold the dirt creek bank from washing out like they use to do...rust her out,etc...I would.

I like your line of thinking! It would look great in a diorama like your suggestion say's.  I also like the idea of doing it as a old LSD wagon with some hippie's hanging around it, that way you won't know if it's you on Acid or the Hippie's...quite a  twist on reality.

OUCH. It's the self inflicted wounds that hurt the worst......... Well Mike, Given it's already "broke" why not stuff a 1/18th Scale Drag enigne in it and make a Cartoon Car outta it!? Heck the warpage'd work to your advantage.

LOL, how right you are. No one to blame when it's all your own fault. Seems like I should be able to find someone to sue for causing me this grief. Isn't that the American way?

Sorry to hear/see that Mike as I know several people who use dehydrators but I'm not one of them.

It has never been a problem before and I have run many models through it, but all it takes is one!  I just look at it as a learning lesson! 
Making something out of it will be a challenge but isn't that why we build models?

I like your line of thinking! It would look great in a diorama like your suggestion say's.  I also like the idea of doing it as a old LSD wagon with some hippie's hanging around it, that way you won't know if it's you on Acid or the Hippie's...quite a  twist on reality.

Mike...  Thanks!...On a very very small income I have found good uses for the ones that just cant be fixed so there not a waste plus they have another chance to be something.  Under the second or lowest on page under the light /pickups,vans,commercial in the truck section here there is a 64 Chevy pickup I did...the kit was warped badly and beyond use as it was...check it out it might be a page back by now...:)

Mike...  Thanks!...On a very very small income I have found good uses for the ones that just cant be fixed so there not a waste plus they have another chance to be something.  Under the second or lowest on page under the light /pickups,vans,commercial in the truck section here there is a 64 Chevy pickup I did...the kit was warped badly and beyond use as it was...check it out it might be a page back by now...:)

NICE!!!  Was the body fouled, twisted,melted?  I like that rust job. Man, where I come from with all of the ranching and farming this truck was one I saw at least evry other day. Just like it! Great job and thanks for leading me to it. 

100_1635.jpg

Mike... Thanks for the compliments...it was my first attempt at this kind of build.  It was warped pretty badly right out of the box plus a few other defects...I figured this way its not wasted.  All extras added are scratch built from stuff that was in the box with it....I have another build like this planed of a 64 Dodge 330...:)

• 2 months later...