Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another old rod to ponder

There is a thread on the HAMB on that picture. People with a lot more knowledge than me say it's a Dodge chassis with a T rear cross member and 2 speed rear axle. The body is a T also but it has been cut down behind the seat. Some speculation that it has a connection to Ed Iskanderian because of some of these features.

There is a thread on the HAMB on that picture. People with a lot more knowledge than me say it's a Dodge chassis with a T rear cross member and 2 speed rear axle. The body is a T also but it has been cut down behind the seat. Some speculation that it has a connection to Ed Iskanderian because of some of these features.

Not cut down at all!  Every Model T Ford roadster ever produced (from 1908 through 1927) had a trunk (so-called "turtle deck") that was simply bolted in place, was never an integral part of the "T-bucket" body.

Not cut down at all!  Every Model T Ford roadster ever produced (from 1908 through 1927) had a trunk (so-called "turtle deck") that was simply bolted in place, was never an integral part of the "T-bucket" body.

That not what I was referring to. According to the article, the rear bulkhead behind the seat and in front of the gas tank (where the turtle deck or truck bed would normally butt up) has been cut down several inches. to bring it down closer to the top of the seat. That is one of the identifying characteristics they use to link the car to Isky.

Really interesting analysis at that Hemming's link! Am I correct – they seem to be implying that this seemingly abandoned gow job might have evolved into Iskenderian's car? That's a cool speculation but seems a bit of a stretch! There were more than a few of these types of early hot rods running around back then, and this sorry sucker might just as easily wound up in a WW II scrap drive or may have survived to be rebuilt as one of the many later anonymous hot rods that ran on the dry lakes after the war.

I know the trend is going anywhere, just get tired of hearing it I guess. Rat Rods were never cars to begin with. It was a trend in the old motorcycle world... Don't get me wrong I like the style of what they are doing with those cars these days it's just that rat rod gets used way to much. Saw an ad a couple years ago. Guy had an 85? Reliant K painted flat black and red wheels and was calling it a rat rod??!! REALLY????

I like the look of this hot rod at the top of the page too, got a look to it for sure!!!

Edited by DrKerry

I get into the whole traditional rod thing.  The romance of someone building a car out of nothing, from supplies on hand.  I'm not big on washing and polishing cars so I'm into the whole patina thing....    but forget the extreme tetanus rods.  The ones with the roof chopped so low that no human could sit inside, nor see out of it.  Nah!

That not what I was referring to. According to the article, the rear bulkhead behind the seat and in front of the gas tank (where the turtle deck or truck bed would normally butt up) has been cut down several inches. to bring it down closer to the top of the seat. That is one of the identifying characteristics they use to link the car to Isky.

Like I said, reading is fundamental. :huh: