Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevy Bel Air

Dominik

Today, i will show you my last built (i think also for this year).

It is the 1951 Chevy Bel Air, old amt-kit. Its also a car for my wife like the 57 Fairlane i built for her. She choosed the color including the combination with the roof and the kind of whitewalls. To make a "nice" car out of this old kit...that was my part. In beginning my "modelbuildcareer" :lol: (it could be in the 80s), i built the same terrible one yeeeeears before. if i compare the results today, i would say, i started the first try on skill level -5 *lol*. it would indeed be stupid if i could not improve in 30 years.

the funny part was, that the reissue (yellow on the box) had the same casiting fin on the roof, the same deformed frame/frontfenders, lousy fitting hood...and so on. Allthe flaws i tryed to reduce to the minimum.

What have i done? a short review of the "biggest" changes...i think, it is normal, that i made a lot of sanding each parts to make it fit and look good.

i removed all the trim around the roof and made new quarterlight...

CIMG151003_044.jpg

i removed paint from all the chrome, not only to fit the bumber to the body...

CIMG151004_030.jpg

CIMG151004_031.jpg

The red one "before" is my first built lightsyears ago :D

the greatest focus i layed on the windows. perhaps you know (i think, you know) that the clear parts had to glue inside the body. and becaus of the thick plastic i had to choose, what to do. to thin out the body or to make new windows to glue from the outside. I tryed the second option...and think, i hit the goal as close i wanted. in the right of the picture, i corrected the inner door line, to fit to the panelline outside ;)

CIMG151004_032.jpg

some other changes was to reduce the frontbench in height, make a new horn ring on the steering wheel, correct the frontend from the radiator. also i filled the big column between the wheelhouses and the fenderskirts an the rear. for a pretty stance, i lowered the frontsuspension a little bit. at last some wiring on the engine.

Paint is out or the rattlecan with no clearcoat to give him a "not as new restauration" look.

wait a minute...

here is the result. i love it, my wife too - think, hit the goal to have a new beauty.

CIMG151101_060.jpgCIMG151101_058.jpg
CIMG151101_070.jpgCIMG151101_068.jpgCIMG151101_099.jpgCIMG151101_103.jpgCIMG151101_079.jpgCIMG151101_111.jpgCIMG151101_104.jpg
CIMG151101_105.jpg

Ā 

Thank you for attention. i had a lot of fun to build it again after the years.

Comments welcome as always. feel free to say what you think. Ah, Harry, i missed the mirror inside...

Edited by Dominik

Thank you very much for kind words. i appreciate it.

Looks like you also missed the windshield wipers! Ā :o

Yep. a quick excuse...*lol*...no. the truth is, i removed them to fit the glasses from outside. when i completed the model, body on frame glued, little stupid Dominik saw the inside mirror on the sprue :angry:...and i remember to the wipers. i grabbed my PE-Box...not found the ones i bought time ago. So i will built some wipers and mount them, when i have my Chevy back....and then i post it here B)