gasman

There have been a few new kits added to the listing on Stevens international 

MPC 

1980 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner 

1979 Ford Pinto Wagon (Nestlé crunch)

1973 Ford Mustang

AMT 

Tyrone Malone Kenworth Transporter papa truck

1969 Plymouth GTX   (Cindy Lewis car culture)

Sunbeam Tiger sports car

Lil Gasser show rod

And AMT-PP14  Double dirt bike motorcycle parts pack 

Going through molds is a most difficult task. It takes heavy equipment, personnel and lots of time. Then add someone with the knowledge of molds and their history and you begin to see how big the task is. 

[...]

A daunting task for sure.   

It says the hanger shot programme was started in the late 90s, then it was cancelled half way through.
As much as I appreciate it being a daunting task, not resuming it for the better part of two decades must be the worst case of procrastination in human history.
If my assumption is correct (only applying common sense here), the tooling is the single most valuable asset of the company and the only asset that actually can be used for value creation,
then one would think doing an exhaustive inventory has to have top priority, no?

If my assumption is correct (only applying common sense here), the tooling is the single most valuable asset of the company and the only asset that actually can be used for value creation,
then one would think doing an exhaustive inventory has to have top priority, no?

Obviously, if the program was cancelled and not reinstituted, it wasn't a priority at any level back then and still isn't. I'd be hard pressed to think of something that would be more important, though. There must be another magical revenue generating angle to model kit production which we aren't privy to. 

It says the hanger shot programme was started in the late 90s, then it was cancelled half way through.
As much as I appreciate it being a daunting task, not resuming it for the better part of two decades must be the worst case of procrastination in human history.

Round2 is back working on as I understand it.  The public has no idea the shambles Racing Champions/Learning Curve/RC2 left AMT & MPC in.   Round2 is doing a pretty good job with what they have to work with.  

MPC 

1973 Ford Mustang

AMT 

Sunbeam Tiger sports car

Lil Gasser show rod

And don't forget:

AMT-978    1/25 2016 Chevy Camaro SS    
AMT-979    1/25 2016 Chevy Camaro SS (Color Version)

MPC 

1980 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner .........................................Will have to check this one out.

1979 Ford Pinto Wagon (Nestlé crunch)..................................Its another wagon to add to my collection of them.

1973 Ford Mustang

AMT 

Tyrone Malone Kenworth Transporter papa truck...................Awesome!

Sunbeam Tiger sports car

Lil Gasser show rod

And AMT-PP14  Double dirt bike motorcycle parts pack......May have to try and get this one. 

If, by choices, you mean the sidebar comments, alright then. :)  i didn't bother checking back to the original post.

Yep that is it Joe....I can see where the confusion can be now...LOL...  It would be nice to see a lot of the old kits make a comeback after 30+ years of waiting for them...glad there listening to us...:)

That sounds to me like a reason for an exhaustive inventory having an even higher priority than top priority?

Obviously, if the program was cancelled and not reinstituted, it wasn't a priority at any level back then and still isn't. I'd be hard pressed to think of something that would be more important, though. There must be another magical revenue generating angle to model kit production which we aren't privy to. 

The program was cancelled by previous owners long ago. 

I don't know why everyone assumes Round2 isn't bothering to investigate what they have in old tooling; it's something they've been working on since they took over...do you think they just tripped over the Meyers Manx tool (and other examples) when they walked in the door?

They're looking for stuff, they're finding stuff, but they're working on seeing what they can produce (profitably).

So how to generate revenue?.....keep the production lines humming using tooling they have available.  I suppose they could just shut everything down and have their entire staff search through old tooling....           

I understand that R2's, and other manufacturers', business is producing model kits and other hobby items. I also feel that redesigning packaging for the umpteenth time for items that are re-released on what seems like a regular rotation is a waste of resources. That's my opinion. We already know what the '58 Impala ;)  looks like, what parts will be in the box, etc. Do we really need another box with different graphics to sell the same kit? There are what, something like ten box designs for the 1957 Ford? Redirect the resources toward getting tooling inventoried, inspected and, if feasible, repaired. Personally, I'm not the the type of model kit buyer who sits on the edge of my seat waiting for the next new and exciting box art for a nineteen-fixty-eleventy-four Formerchrycheviac Bulgemobile Most Excellent Classic Supreme Hardtvertible Broughdan which has been recycled seventy six times before. It's still the same old kit I bought before and I'd buy again; so, I'm okay with any of the older box designs. 

Re the Meyers Manx, how do you know if they didn't, in fact, trip over the tooling when they walked in? For all you know, that's exactly how they came across it. It could've been used as a doorstop by the previous owners. Or, quite possibly, as an ashtray in the Executive Lounge.

AMT-PP14  Double dirt bike motorcycle parts pack 

I don't recall AMT releasing any motorcycle which could be described as a dirtbike, save for the mini-bike included with the Thunderbolt One, Bigfoot, etc. monster truck kits. Which dirtbike will this be? The MPC dirtbike included with the '72-'76 Dodge W-series pickups and/or '72-ish Chevy C-series Stepside kit, which I think was/were Yamaha dirtbikes?

I understand that R2's, and other manufacturers', business is producing model kits and other hobby items. I also feel that redesigning packaging for the umpteenth time for items that are re-released on what seems like a regular rotation is a waste of resources.   Do we really need another box with different graphics to sell the same kit?  

Re the Meyers Manx, how do you know if they didn't, in fact, trip over the tooling when they walked in? For all you know, that's exactly how they came across it. It could've been used as a doorstop by the previous owners. Or, quite possibly, as an ashtray in the Executive Lounge.

They have to stay in business.  If they decided to only produce kits from tooling that hasn't seen a reissue in x number of years ,, they would be out of business....I don't know how much simpler I can put it.

Re the Manx, I know darn well it wasn't used as a doorstop by the previous owners.  If you knew the kind of enthusiasm the guys at Round2 have in trying to bring back "the good stuff" you wouldn't be so cynical.

"Executive Lounge"?........we're dealing with Round2, not General Motors.       

Edited by pack rat

I don't recall AMT releasing any motorcycle which could be described as a dirtbike, save for the mini-bike included with the Thunderbolt One, Bigfoot, etc. monster truck kits. Which dirtbike will this be? The MPC dirtbike included with the '72-'76 Dodge W-series pickups and/or '72-ish Chevy C-series Stepside kit, which I think was/were Yamaha dirtbikes?

That's the one, Casey.  The parts pack will contain two of the ex-MPC  "dirtbikes" mentioned above.......note that no brand is specified (kinda like Revell's "no-name" tires....."cough"licensing"cough") 

There was also a Suzuki 400 included in some MPC kits, but AFIAK that bike is MIA.  

Edited by pack rat

MPC 

1973 Ford Mustang

AMT 

Sunbeam Tiger sports car

Lil Gasser show rod

Very good news! That '80 Volare and that Pinto Wagon are definitely must have kits. Volare will look very good as a Stock Eliminator car but it could be turned into a neat Street Machine too. Pinto is a good starting point for a Doorslammer Drag Car so I think I'll gotta buy that too. That Sunbeam Tiger sounds interesting too. I think I'll gotta get one of them as well, I see a Gasser in my future...

That's the one, Casey.  The parts pack will contain two of the ex-MPC  "dirtbikes" mentioned above.......note that no brand is specified (kinda like Revell's "no-name" tires....."cough"licensing"cough") 

There was also a Suzuki 400 included in some MPC kits, but AFIAK that bike is MIA.  

Thanks. I just checked on eBay and one of the Dodge pickup annual kits included two Suzuki 250 dirtbikes, so it's go to here those survived unscathed even if the pickup (mostly) didn't.

Now watch, Revell will reissue one of their truck and trailer w/dirtbike combos later this year. :D