Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC new releases for 2016

gasman

Mike's info here is exactly correct.  The only addition is that the Hull Raiser was more than a slight modification - it had an all-new hull design, which I have concluded replicated the mid-1960's "Kindsvater" product rather than the wider and less streamlined c. 1963 Rayson Craft hull.  

The original Rayson Craft kit has a 390FE Interceptor engine (which was a big winner in early 1960's drag boat racing), including a 6-2 barrel setup, this was revised in the Hull Raiser kit to a SOHC 427 with a single tri-carb option (both kits included a GMC Blower option).

The drag version sponsons were dropped in the later issue, and there were some other detail changes as well (most notably, the way cool bench seating and matching V-drive cover were dropped in the Hull Raiser redo).  

Bottom line, if the subject appeals to you, you definitely need to track down both versions of the tool.  For more info, see... http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/boyd-model-boats/boyd-boats-/  which has photos of all these kits in build form and info on the kits as well.  Here are some excepts from that album:   

c. 1963 AMT Trophy Series Rayson Craft built in the Ski Boat version: DSC 0763

c. 1963 AMT Trophy Series Rayson Craft built in the drag boat version: DSC 0765

c. 1968 AMT "Hull Raiser" [Kindsvater] built in a mildlykitbashed form (Pontiac engine swap; different buckets) and finished to replicate the box art of the "Quarter Masters" kit referenced above (note the Revell '68 Firebird uses as a stand-in for the non-correct '68 Firebird in that AMT Combo kit) :

:DSC 0774

c. 1968 AMT Hull Raiser [Kindsvater] built box stock in the drag version (note the "wood" decking which is actually drybrushed enamels using the Tim Powers method as described  in his late 1990's article in the other model car mag): DSC 0767

Let me know if you have any other questions.   Cheers...TIM   

Thank you for clearing up the boat issues, I guess my memory of the article wasn't as close as I thought, but then I try not to think if I can help it, as you can see it occasionally gets me in trouble.

Tim, back in the 90's I gave up cars for 'bout 7-8 years and I followed Unlimited Hydroplanes and drag boat races for those years. I've been to many races and took many photos as well. I also worked with two guys who owned/drove 132 & 265 mph boats.As far as the Hemi-Hydro being compatible with the AMT boat kits, sorry but I'm not buyin' it.

I'm sorry too, but as you can see by the un retouched photos above your post, photos of side by side in the same frame boats don't lie, depending on what hull you're looking at from AMT, the Hemi Hydro is either four scale inches longer or shorter than the AMT hulls. Facts is facts, as I can attest, what we think ain't always correct.

I have the Model King '70 Bonnie/boat kit, so a reissue of the Poncho would only be interesting for me, if it were the Hardtop.

Why no 61 - 69 Lincoln hardtop?
Why no promo tool reissues of the Jr Trophy/Craftsman/Flower Power series?

Is it really that difficult?

Beetle Bus Show Rod, for God's sake. I'm not eight years old anymore. What a bloody waste of styrene.

you wouldn't want to get rid of the hull to that boat would you

Thank you for clearing up the boat issues, I guess my memory of the article wasn't as close as I thought, but then I try not to think if I can help it, as you can see it occasionally gets me in trouble.

Del....no worries at all.  As everyone around here (and all Model Cars mag readers, too) knows, I'm always happy to use any excuse to promote 1/25th scale drag and ski boats as part of our great hobby!   Cheers...TIM 

He also said that the '29A roadster reissue will use the "Mod Rod" version box art (this was the c.1969/70 reissue just before the '73 "Street Rod Series" version).    The missing pieces of the original AlaKart will not be retooled, but all the gates will be opened which will provide a number of "bonus" parts.  The kit will also include the antique racing options for the stock roadster version, which will provide a very convincing "Race of the Gentlemen" type model.  These plans are tentative, of course, and subject to change.  

b3ba2f8b6367eb3ca6cef1d428e03dbc.jpg

T2542005vi-vi.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

The missing pieces of the original AlaKart will not be retooled, but all the gates will be opened which will provide a number of "bonus" parts.

So I'm confused, will there be enough pieces to build two complete cars , the Ala Kart with parts that are NOT "Retooled" , and the stock roadster ?

Two cars...the stock roadster, and the (yellow) Mod Rod.  Not all of the Ala Kart parts would be in there, as some (like the fenders) were altered for the black Street Rod issue in the early Seventies.

Judging by the last issue of the 1929 Model kit, the Ala Kart fenders (though modified) are in there. However, the Ala Kart front axle, and a few other key pieces were cut out during the Lesney era to allow the stock 29 A front axle and brake linkage to be on the chrome tree for the A Venger issue. I think the quad headlamps are likely also long gone. Might have to go down to my stash and compare some trees. if I do, I'll shoot some pics.

Edited by Dave Darby
Corrected wrong information.

Judging by the last issue of the 1929 Model kit, the Ala Kart fenders (though modified) are in there. However, the Ala Kart front axle, and a few other key pieces were cut out to allow some newer Lesney era parts to be on the chrome tree for the A Venger issue. I think the quad headlamps are likely also long gone. Might have to go down to my stash and compare some trees. if I do, I'll shoot some pics.

It will be interesting to see what the 'open all closed gates' gives us.  That MAY be goo......

Actually, The Fire Chief Can be built already.

The Light rack, Strobes, Siren, flashers, even Radio equipment

are All Identical to those parts from the 70 Ford Police Cruiser!!!!

I have 2 of the Impala Fire Chief, and 4+ of the Ford Police, so I can verify that!

I have 2 of the Impala fire chief kits as well, I think the only unique parts to the Impala kits are the steel wheels (which could be sourced elsewhere) and the half moon bowtie hubcaps.

I have 2 of the Impala fire chief kits as well, I think the only unique parts to the Impala kits are the steel wheels (which could be sourced elsewhere) and the half moon bowtie hubcaps.

The bowtie caps aren't correct for the Impala...they were used on the Camaro, Nova, and Chevelle though.

Sorry, no.

Boats are boats and we can't get enough of them.

Can't blame me for trying, some people don't like the boats and just want the speed parts and the engines, but I'm trying to replicate a seventies Sanger semi-V that my brother had, it was an ex blown fuel flat bottom that had been detuned by switching from injection to carbs on the blower and adding seats for a competition ski boat, still ran the blower 55% over, and all the good internals in the 392 Hemi that was bored and stroked to 440 cubic inches, he even had the zoomies, for the occasional scare the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of the lake patrol evenings, even though it sounded just as impressive to pull the muffler inserts out of the over transom exhaust. 

But the Hemi Hydro is just off enough in proportions to make it really rough to do, and the Hull Raiser boat is almost right but will still have to fabricate the bubble deck. Thanks for the answer, Del

Edited by horsepower

Actually, The Fire Chief Can be built already.

The Light rack, Strobes, Siren, flashers, even Radio equipment

are All Identical to those parts from the 70 Ford Police Cruiser!!!!

I have 2 of the Impala Fire Chief, and 4+ of the Ford Police, so I can verify that!

Does the fire chief car have the formal roof body or the Sport Coupe roof? I do not recall... I was like 8

Box art shows Sport Coupe

Does the fire chief car have the formal roof body or the Sport Coupe roof? I do not recall... I was like 8

Box art shows Sport Coupe

I was wondering the same thing. IMO, the sportsroof looks soooo much better than the formal one. It would save me some work from having to swap roofs (again). :P