Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC new releases for 2016

gasman

John G at Round2 gave me the bobblehead; it came with the yellow jacket.  I found out later it was a limited edition (most are red...I think).

That is my understanding.......John gave me one too.  I had worked a lot with RC2 on projects and when R2 took over did my best to help when asked. 

The yellow coats are only given.....I was honored for sure. 

As for new stuff........I can say they are working hard to get more of our cash!! 

Yeah, a Flameout and a Beverly Hillbillies truck are going to make a nice stock 1920's Fire engine. Either a Tractor/trailer with a towed Steam Pump, or on the back of the Olds. Not sure yet.

Most likely going to be a Toad, as those steam pumps are HEAVY. But, I may try dual rims on the Olds and try to beef it up. In fact, a Monogram 1926 Mack might be a better base. Won't know until I have a Flameout in my grubby paws.

Yeah, a Flameout and a Beverly Hillbillies truck are going to make a nice stock 1920's Fire engine. Either a Tractor/trailer with a towed Steam Pump, or on the back of the Olds. Not sure yet.

Most likely going to be a Toad, as those steam pumps are HEAVY. But, I may try dual rims on the Olds and try to beef it up. In fact, a Monogram 1926 Mack might be a better base. Won't know until I have a Flameout in my grubby paws.

Kinda the reverse of one of my ideas!!!! I was going to take a MPC Christie vintage fire engine kit and make a large scale Flameout!!!! 

Works both ways!!! Sounds like a cool idea!! 

This thing is scary looking!!!!

firetruck-steam-powered-NYC.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

Kinda the reverse of one of my ideas!!!! I was going to take a MPC Christie vintage fire engine kit and make a large scale Flameout!!!! 

Works both ways!!! Sounds like a cool idea!! 

This thing is scary looking!!!!

firetruck-steam-powered-NYC.jpg

I want this. What an amazing, grotesque, wonderful piece of machinery!

Charlie Larkin

It is sad to go to Round 2's web site. There is nothing there indicating what is coming in the near future. In fact there is barely any info on what's available now. I wish someone at Round 2 would fix this. ?

Makes 2 of us. I know "announcing" could be an issue if problems arise, but sure things would be nice to see when something is a done deal. 

It is sad to go to Round 2's web site. There is nothing there indicating what is coming in the near future. In fact there is barely any info on what's available now. I wish someone at Round 2 would fix this. ?

Makes 2 of us. I know "announcing" could be an issue if problems arise, but sure things would be nice to see when something is a done deal. 

Look at their retail site, autoworldstore.com.   They keep that a little more up-to-date.  

Just a thought: 

Does R2 have the molds/toolings for all or most of the original AMT releases? If it does, why not reissue the so called "holy grail" kits? I'm referring to early-mid 70s GMs and Fords; and, I'm sure you guys know which ones you'd want and I believe they would sell well. I know I'd like to see Invictas, Chevy IIs, Skylarks, Bonnies and Tempests on my workbench without shelling out insane bucks. Or, would doing so provoke the hoarders, collectors and rare kit sellers into storming my house with torches and pitchforks for even thinking about that? 

Does R2 have the molds/toolings for all or most of the original AMT releases? If it does, why not reissue the so called "holy grail" kits? I'm referring to early-mid 70s GMs and Fords; and, I'm sure you guys know which ones you'd want and I believe they would sell well. I know I'd like to see Invictas, Chevy IIs, Skylarks, Bonnies and Tempests on my workbench without shelling out insane bucks. Or, would doing so provoke the hoarders, collectors and rare kit sellers into storming my house with torches and pitchforks for even thinking about that? 

The issue is nobody knows for sure exactly what, in total, Round2 has. Round2 has publicly stated they have not gone through nor set up every mold they have in their possession, but they have set some up and run test shots through the molds to see what condition they are in. I'm sure they have some idea of which molds still exist and which don't, and they definitely have a list (and test shots) of those molds/kits which they have run, and their condition, but until an entire inventory is done (which IMHO s not likely to be completed at any time in the near future), I don't think ROund2 can say definitively exactly what they have an the condition of each mold. I don't see any real benefit to them declaring that publicly, either, so I wouldn't expect to ever hear them make such an announcement. One or two kits, yes, they would (and have) done that, but not their entire tooling inventory.

We know many kits were heavily altered at some point (say, the Chevy II wagon into the Boss Nova "Funny Car"), and while the later version(s) have sometimes recently (within the last decade, let's say), it's usually the original or earliest version the die-hards want, so it would take a good amount of money and work to return the molds to their previous state. Whether or not that's A) possible or B ) financially viable is something Round2 knows, but again, has little interest to publicly disclose.

I thin it's been stated by a few forum members who have worked with or are working with Round2 that if they have something which has not been released in many, many years, and it's in good shape (defined by me as needing little or minor work), it is something Round2 will try to reissue.

TL;DR - only Round2 knows for sure, and they aren't talking...much.

Thanks for the explanation, Casey. I understand that R2 won't tip its hand until it's feasible to announce any reissues/releases. I should have been more specific. What I meant to write was "early '60s - mid'70s" kits. I meant 1962/63 Chevy II Nova hardtops and wagons, Buick Specials, Tempests and other like kits from the same period. I could be wrong; but, I don't believe that any of those particular molds were retooled or altered after their initial releases. I'm not a fan of custom cars and prefer to build factory stock vehicles, which is why I'd be interested in seeing reissued bone stock kits from that era.

Edited by SfanGoch

Going through molds is a most difficult task. It takes heavy equipment, personnel and lots of time. Then add someone with the knowledge of molds and their history and you begin to see how big the task is. 

A buddy of mine talked about vetting molds in a warehouse that he was involved in. Looking at a mold you see everything almost in a negative mirror format. He would carry a big ball of Silly Putty to press into the mold so he could  pull it out and get a better idea what the mold was. 

A daunting task for sure.   

Going through molds is a most difficult task. It takes heavy equipment, personnel and lots of time. Then add someone with the knowledge of molds and their history and you begin to see how big the task is. 

Absolutely correct....it's a daunting task.

There is still old tooling there, but it has to be found, identified, inspected to see what condition it's in after all the years of storage in different locations under different ownership, etc etc...then, perhaps it will be sent away to have plastic shot through it to see what pops out.  

Case in point...the '64 Cutlass hanger shot.  It is not, as some have stated the '64 Cutlass funny car.  It's the '64 Cutlass annual with the body parts heavily modified from it's funny car days.  The funny car chassis, engine and interior bits are all missing.  So it can't be issued in it's original annual form or as the funny car in it's present state....and what condition is the tooling in?   How much will it cost to restore?  etc etc      

If Round2 found complete, production-ready tooling for some annual we haven't seen for 40-50 years, they wouldn't just sit on it.

Rest assured, there is still stuff to find, and they're digging for it.  

Edited by pack rat