Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '30 Ford hemi coupe

Spex84

This one has a few little issues to be taken care of (radiator cap, black paint on ends of rear axles where they're exposed, mis-alignment of driver's side interior panel(doh!), but it's pretty much done.
 The build began in September 2011, and it's progressed in fits and starts since then. Thanks to Acecargarageguy for transmission advice (way back when), and Eric Macleod for trading me a box of old Monogram and MPC tires. They worked out very nicely.

5646e4d3eda41_30HemiCoupe3_Oct132015.thu

5646e5158e19e_30HemiCoupe1_Oct132015_sma

5646e53f6f238_30HemiCoupe2_Oct132015_sma

A few notes on the build and parts:

-Monogram '30 coupe, chopped, wheel wells/bead detail added, Revell '32 5w louvered trunk modified to fit, cowl light and gas filler holes filled. Beltline trim added in half-round styrene and strip plastic. Windows made from overhead projector sheets.

-Revell '32 5w interior, brush painted in thin layers of acrylic reds to mimic oxblood leather. Piston shifter and '40 Ford dashboard from same kit. AMT '40 Ford steering wheel.

-Floor modified to match width of 1/24 Monogram body. Scratchbuilt trunk floor and interior.

-Styrene trunk lid detail and hinges. Gas tank from Lindberg roadster pickup, parts box cap.

-Modified Revell '32 frame. Front crossmember moved forward to lengthen wheelbase, Revell '37 Ford PU X-member, Monogram '30 rear crossmember, custom transmission crossmember. Original molded-in floor removed from frame. Friction shocks added from Revell '29 Pickup.

-Firewall footwells flattened for engine clearance, scratchbuilt fuel blocks (styrene, hypodermic needle pieces)

-Modified Revell '37 Ford axle (dropped, ends filled, posed steering). Scratchbuilt drag link. Pitman arm from Revell '29 Tudor. Metal mono-spring on '29 spring hangars, scratchbuilt radius rods with early style rod-ends. Revell '50 F1 pickup steering box.

-AMT phantom Vickie headlight lenses and bezels on modified AMT '40 Ford "Rides" headlight buckets. Headlight stands are cut-down AMT Double-T parts. Taillights are Revell '37 ford with aluminum tube bezels and lenses made by melting red styrene into the bezels with liquid glue. Taillights have 5-min Epoxy on top to give them a domed shape.

-Monogram '32 ford roadster '40 Ford-style brake backing plates,  plumbed with partial brake lines.

-AMT '53 Ford PU Desoto Firedome hemi engine. AMT '57 corvette T-10 transmission with custom JB weld adapter (ha!). Stock exhaust manifolds adapted to side exhaust dumps made from sprue to imitate exhaust pipes made from cut-down '30s Ford torque tubes. Scratchbuilt "U-fab" style intake. Carbs from '53 PU dechromed, split (they're molded in pairs). Parts Box resin intake scoops modified and re-cast, painted with Alclad. Fuel lines are clear stretchy beading wire coated with a red sharpie. Carb linkage made from thin wire crimped on the ends. Scratchbuilt stock-style valley cover and alternator bracket. Scratchbuilt thermostat housing/water hoses between intake and radiator.

-aluminum driveshaft with slip joint. Rearend is a quickchange (double dragster?) combined with axle housings from Tweedy pie (I think).

-Front tires are Revell '37 Ford PU. Wheels are Revell '32 5w kit's 40-Ford style pieces with AMT '40 Ford "Deluxe" cap on one side only.

-Rear tires are MPC '31 Chrysler with modified Monogram '41 Lincoln wheels ('40 ford center lug detail spliced into the Lincoln wheels)

-Door handles from Revell '30 Ford touring. License plate from '30 Revell Ford Woody.

Thanks folks! I enjoyed every step of building this thing, even when it got tedious. It's my dream car...one of 'em anyway.

Ben--the paint is Mr Hobby "Mr Metal Color" stainless steel metalizer (from Japan), dry-brushed over grey Plasticote primer. This created a mottled finish, which I then buffed with a cloth. Then some Mr Hobby Aluminum was rubbed onto the high spots using a cloth with just a skiff of paint on it, and a little copper Rub-n-Buff near the bottoms of the doors to create the impression of light oxidization.

The Rub-n-buff has wax in it (I think?) so I'd advise against trying to paint or apply decals over it.

56476798782eb_30HemiCoupeWIP_Sept72015.t

X2.  Thanks for sharing, it was worth the wait.

X3 Wonderful to see this come off your bench. Throughout its gestation it never, even for a moment, failed to entice, educate and delight, and the final product delivers in spades! Bravo!

...and I like both sets of wheels...

Edited by Bernard Kron