Model Cars Magazine Forum

SHELBY COBRA restomod >real alu dash>high gloss paint

crazyrichard

thnx thnx !

didnt have much time to build ..but managed to add some detail to the engine

made it not so perfect on purpose and added some ild washes .. needs to look like its  car thats driven hard , not a show boat .. so tried to mildly make it look a bit used without making it filthy

colors look flat but the intake manifold and gear box are dark polished metal coat .. irl that has a real metal look ans shine  that doesnt show on the pictures...

added a fuelline , throttle cable > first pic its silver on the others still dark its so thin it didnt show dark so i made it silver ...

also made a tiny spring for the throttle on the carb (from superthing brass champaign bottle wire)

499dccd339748eeef42e43b32360aaa2.jpg

09139717f1cdd6075e8890b2312389e5.jpg

dad86b63e5dd3a213aec73df3eb01b92.jpg

fuel throttle cable not on the pic yet >

c56408915c6fc913e5c4be8a65ada093.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx wayne ..

just made and put in the real aluminium door panels ..pfftt that was hard lots of filing and altering .. just ..just could fit them between the body and tub .. on the rear they needed to be made lower because they caused the body to sit to high .. but after fideling i got them in

back wall from real aluminium .. i could make some sort of console box there ... or maybe like a speaker or single woofer between the seats ..

thnx !!

i hated the underside .. finally got something decent ..redid the tub in silver .. made a fueltank because i suddenly realized the rear is a underside but you see through and there is nothing there .. just looking at the underside of the trunklid ..

instead of following the contours i just made a square tank and painted it silver so you see it a bit ..

now the underside that was there was done in dark metal coat ..maybe i can make that silver zo it looks more one with the tank i made ?

the kit did not provide any cooling fan .. not on the engine and no electric ...

so i cut one fan of a twin electric set up from a ferrari and started to make a frame .. still rough and not done

made copper strips in the braces .. very thin copper plate .. now on the kit those run through onto the rear edge of the body , i cut that off in the beginning due to the ride hight setting .. i will make something so it sits on the rear body edge later on

so i finished the radiator ...primered it and was happy .. with 6 fingers i put it all loose together , radiator >fan>body with chassis and engine and then realized the expansiontank and coolinghoses .. block any vieuw at the radiator and fan ....so nothing can be seen ....

primered result >

since most cobra's have those flimsy looking fans in front of the radiator i just cut part of the frame so it fitted exactly in the opening so now its even cooler the fan shows through the front opening .. looks cool and also more modern with this style of fan ....

thnx ed .. and yes its got a japanese flair to it , cant see and looks smaller on this picture but its got a nice turte pond with a long flowing river ...some bonsais .. been working on that for several years and every year something is added ..

here are some pictures :)

on topic ... i just gave it the final color ....wanted to waight and mask it off and give it the stripes .. but i felt it would made it too classic looking while i wanted a more modern feel without changing the lines or butchering the cobra

now this also is a semi gloss layer ...satin .. i want to see how it looks when dry ... and then decide to put on 2 coats of high gloss clear or leave it satin

idea was a bit like the cars today in gun battle ship grey with colored wheels .. i found the battle ship grey too light so went for this darker tone .. just a ratte can like i always use ..local diy market rattle can ..

and the rim color combo > black center and grey lip to match the paint .....