Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pete 378 and Lowboy

My first truck and trailer. I lowered the cab on the frame and boxed the frame. I decided to leave the sleeper off. I made fenders for the rear tires and am still working on my large exhaust stacks. I extended the lowboy about 5" and added a wood deck. I have a WWII panzer tank I have started building to put on the deck as a recovered wreck. Thought I would share a couple pics.

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

You have my attention! I've pondered the idea of lowering the cab. I'd like to see or at least please explain how you went about it. 

This is lookin like it's gonna be my kinda build. Lookin forward to seeing more.

All I did was just shave the mounts down enough to lower it about 3/16", if I had gone anymore I would have had to notch the back cab wall to clear the frame and build new mounts for the front of the cab, I wasn't wanting to do that just yet. Once I lowered the cab then I had to build new hinges for the hood and redo the air intake under the hood. I wanted to lower the suspension as well but just couldn't figure out the best way to do that on this chassis. So far I'm getting the look I was envisioning when I started this build. Thanks, Jon 

Very nice! I really like the color! What size diameter are those stacks in scale?

Thanks, I wanted something bright and I got it with this color. I might have gotten a little over zealous with the stacks, they are 1/2 OD which translates to 12" OD at 1/24 scale. They are styrene I covered with aluminum foil. I still need to cut them to length just haven't figured out what that is yet. I was going to cut and polish them just before gluing them in place. Thanks, Jon

Thanks, I wanted something bright and I got it with this color. I might have gotten a little over zealous with the stacks, they are 1/2 OD which translates to 12" OD at 1/24 scale. They are styrene I covered with aluminum foil. I still need to cut them to length just haven't figured out what that is yet. I was going to cut and polish them just before gluing them in place. Thanks, Jon

I had considered trying foil over plastic for stacks myself, but have never taken on the challenge. Yours look good, I actually thought that they were aluminum.

• 2 months later...

I'm approaching the end of this build. I have come to a point where I need to build the airlines from the tractor to trailer and the chains and binders to tie down the load. Can some one point me to any pics or tips for building these? Haven't been able to find any. Thanks

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

Jon, sorry.  I'm not sure about this rig.  It looks kind of sick.  I mean real sick. 

I love it!

Dude, go for it!

It looks like some real wood planks on the bed.  Do you build ships?  Guys, why try to paint wood when you can get real wood?

I like this.

Jon, sorry.  I'm not sure about this rig.  It looks kind of sick.  I mean real sick. 

I love it!

Thanks.

Dude, go for it!

It looks like some real wood planks on the bed.  Do you build ships?  Guys, why try to paint wood when you can get real wood?

I like this.

I am normally building giant scale RC airplanes that's where the planking comes from.

Jon,

Nice job on the decking ! Is that balsa or basswood?

Just plain ole balsa wood. I stained it with some minnwax golden oak stain and cut to fit. I thought it came out well. Thanks Jon

Edited by akracer