Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rough Weekend :(

MrObsessive

This has not been an easy last couple days for me, My oldest cat Captain died a couple days ago. He had been sick for some time-----the Vet had told me a year ago that he was suffering from kidney failure. Those of you who've had cats and dogs know the difficulties they can have when they're suffering with this.

The last number of days, he stopped eating and he stopped drinking water..........I knew then that it was not long for him. When I came home from work Friday afternoon, he had passed away. My other two cats, I wanted them to see that he was gone, so I let them around him for a little while. A pet groomer some time ago recommended this as she said that would minimize my other two cats from howling wondering what happened to him if I were to have just taken him to get put down. Nevertheless,  it hurts. He was not quite 14 (He was born on March 14, 2002), and I had him since he was seven weeks old. He was also the only cat that I had with me for the longest time in any one place. I've been in my house for nine years now, and he was here when I moved in.

This time of the year is a rough one just the same. It was this time six years ago that I had another cat put down (KitKat), and it's interesting that they both are gone right at the same time of year. KitKat was put down the day after Thanksgiving in '09 (November 27th).

Here are a couple pictures of Captain in better days.......................

P5013844.JPG

PA313476.JPG

It's tough for me to even type all of this at the moment.............thanks folks for taking a look. He was such a good cat.

I feel your pain brother. Been through this before....my last guy was my best friend. I think of him a lot, even though it's been 7 years. They might be "pets" , but they are family. My sincere condolences to you. You'll never forget them....so in a way , they will live on in your memories. 

Sorry to hear that Bill. it remindes me of our beloved cats - we had five that time, each kid one and our parents had two plus the "mothermiez". we (my Bro and i) had to leave them as we changed our garrison. My cat, named Hercules, died some day (because he was old then) and i was not there. he is still in my memories...

God bless you

Very sorry for your loss........

I like to look at it as all the years of love and care you gave to your buddy......and how good of a life he had. 

I can say I understand as we lost a 14 year old kitty 2 months ago. Our first Manx and we had hand raised her. It can be very tough.

Thanks for the great care you provided. 

I want to thank everyone for all the nice words and condolences. Indeed, my cats are like family as I've never had kids so when one of them passes away, it cuts deep.

Later on, I may get another kitten-------only to have one much closer in age to my younger cat who's just seven months old. My Manx (Yori) is six years old, and she's not gotten along quite well with the younger one as she was once the Alpha cat. Strip now wants to take over, and as you can guess, there's a lot of hissing and spitting going on. A kitten much closer to his age may alleviate all of that as he'll have more of a playmate.

Still, there's the cost I have to think about for vet bills, food, etc. They may in fact be the last ones I'll have. If they live to be 15+ years old (the kittens), by that time I'll be in my 70's and I'm not sure I want to deal with any more pets after that. I say that now, and of course, they always tug at your heart strings, but I'm looking more at the aspect of who's going to take care of them when I'm no longer here as they may in fact outlive me.

I'm sorry guy............. Thats never easy, I don't care what anyone says negative pets are like family! my little guy, well hes a Dog, and then you have my 2 Heevins, Bender & Ickus (both cats) both lovable, VERY loyal cats..... I can't help but feel for your loss man, I've lost MANY over the years.....

Think of him often (this may sound odd) BUT it helps if you sort of call to him even tho hes gone, the feeling of like hes there will ease it man..... I had a GREAT cat once, her name was "Cinder" -Short for Cinderella (was her name when I got her) a Hymie, and she LOVED my daughter, protected her dang near like a dog.... Was clean, well kept, and friendly, the whole time I had her 15 years, I never once heard her hiss, and she NEVER scratched! She's "nead" on your leg if she was sitting there but, nothing that truly hurt.

God bless you man..... I know, I know, its difficult, pets really are close, like a friend, in some cases even more so then actual human friends....