Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Vette Trubute

Michael J Corcoran

Details please on the paint technique....

I first applied darker shade of green (most people use black) for a base color. After it was cured, I shot the whole car with silver and immediately, with the silver still wet, I blotted it with a loosely wrinkled up ball of seran wrap to lift the silver off the base. Once the silver was cured, I sprayed with candy green.

I can be done with any combination of colors, it just needs to be a candy color for the top coat.

I used to use this "marbelizing" style on full size paint jobs, and you can get several different patterns by using different materials for lifting the silver color, saran wrap will usually have a tighter pattern, garbage bags or heavier vinyl are a little more Marble effect, like the old table tops, and using tin foil is a lot larger areas of pure,color, on models and radio control cars I've used the same thing I did on real cars that gave me more time to work the silver, I used a chrome silver enamel with a little mineral spirits to slow down the drying time. I would let the silver then tack up and cover with a light coat of clear to seal it off before letting it dry overnight then you can use lacquer based candies or toners for the color coats. Using the slower drying silver allows more time for working the pattern to keep it looking more even, I've done complete van sides using this method without having to spray the silver several times in different areas to keep it wet enough to work, the enamel will let you get a complete area sprayed out and will still be wet enough to work for a considerable time, and the really cool part is if you don't like the pattern, using some mineral spirits and a rag you can wipe it off and start over the without damaging the base if you use lacquer for your base color.