Model Cars Magazine Forum

any body have experience with 1/32 PYRO kits?

fiatboy

It all depends on which classic-era kits you are interested in. The 1930s Fords, Chevs, and Plymouths, aren't too bad, though they are curbside (with the exception of the Plymouth, which has an engine), and have no chrome. The luxury cars and brass-era cars are nicely detailed, have plated parts and engine detail. IIRC, the only kit which wasn't that great, appearance-wise, was the 1952 Chevrolet.

IIRC , this '32 Ford roadster is a Pyro kit. I found the dimensions to be inaccurate to my eye, so I played with the lines to make it look slightly more acceptable. The hood seemed too short and the entire rear of the car seemed too narrow.  I also rescribed the doorlines and built the frame from scratch. Tires were from the parts box, while the wheels came from an EXP.

20140804_075113.jpg

20151020_131843.jpg

The Classics do have engines and brass parts, in most cases.  I've had 2 Model T delivery vans, and one had brass plated parts, and one had brass colored plastic.  They are very nice kits.  I've had the Life-Like reissue of the Lanchester, and it didn't have a motor.  But the Renault and both Fords did.  Check the contents before you buy if you NEED a motor.  If you are just looking for nice models of vehicles that you won't find anywhere else, then these are great!  No one will ever do a Lanchester or the Stevens-Duryea in 1/25.  And their 1930 Packard Sport coupe is really nice, too! (with a motor!)

fiatboy, here are the pics I promised you.  I'm not the best photographer, but they should give you a good idea what you get inside.  I forgot the '30 Packard had been started and stripped down, so the chrome parts were all wrapped in cling wrap to keep them from getting scratches.  But they ARE chrome plated.  I've only ever seen this Packard TWICE, once when I found out they made one (and missed the bidding), and then this one that I own. 

DSCN6644.JPG

DSCN6645.JPG

DSCN6646.JPG

DSCN6647.JPG

DSCN6648.JPG

DSCN6650.JPG

DSCN6649.JPG

DSCN6650.JPG

DSCN6644.JPG

DSCN6646.JPG

I want to say the at some time the Pyro/Life-Like/Lindberg 1/32 kits DID have Chrome

I have a few of the 32 Fords & Chevy's and they do have chrome

IF I can find them I will take pics.

I want to say the chrome was more of an Aluminum look than Bright chrome

but they weer plated not painted

Also I think those issues came with Blue tint clear including those with headlight lenses

It has been A LONG time, but....................................

I have passed the Lindberg re-issues at Ollie's as they were the same $7.99

that the 1/25 kits were

And while the 1/25 got marked down over time, the 1/32 did not!!!

I have a semi built-up '32 Ford kit in the stash.  I will post pictures when I get a chance.  From what I remember it is a nice curb side kit.  I might even be willing to trade it.

Sorry, I mis-remembered.  The kit I have is an AMT not a Pyro.

Working on a Pyro Mercer right now, and it is a nice little kit.   The way to tell which is which is that the Vintage Brass and Table Top Classic series had engines and plated parts, while the Table Top Series were more basic, with no engines or plating.   Some of the Life-Like reissued didn't have plating, but just molded those parts in silver-grey plastic.

I did have the 30 Packard, and that one had plated parts and separate vinyl tires, so I guess Pyro did make some upgrades along the way.

Edited by Richard Bartrop