Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Fairlane Gt Restoration

Ron Hamilton

I started this one with a built-up, unpainted '67 Fairlane off of ebay. There was no stock seats, but a lot of what I needed was there.

2006_0715mamameetingjul070040.jpg

As you can see, it was pretty clean, and wasn't much of a glue-bomb. The hood was missing, and the interior was a race type.

2006_0715mamameetingjul070037.jpg

I was able to find a hood on ebay, and I got a set of seats cast from my mint, unbuilt original kit.

2007_0721momameetingjuly20070016.jpg

Anyone familiar with this will note that AMT forgot to include the lower sculture on the body, so I cut it in, using the '66 body as a guide. I drilled out the cast in headlamps, and installed clear lenses.

2007_0721momameetingjuly20070015.jpg

The styled steel wheels came from the original '66 Mustang Convertible kit, via The Modelhaus, as these are the most accurate set of these wheels available in scale. I mounted them on a set of original AMT Firestone Supreme red lines.

2007_0721momameetingjuly20070017.jpg

The steering wheel came from the latest issue AMT '67 Mustang, as the kit wheel did not have the "Flower Pot" horn button.

2007_0921AMT67FairlaneGT0006.jpg

I replicated the '67 Brittany Blue paint with Testors' Lacquer, with a two tone blue interior. The stripes are a combination of Keith Marks' GT emblems, and AMT '66 Fairlane GT stripes in white.

2007_0921AMT67FairlaneGT0012.jpg

I have wanted one of these for a long time, and I finally got it done.

nice job Ron! this is one of my favorite years. i have a few 67s and restored one to be the "desperato" box art car. i guess i am kind of partial to the belt line that is missing. it would be perfect if you had a peice of trim there because the real car had a trim that ran along that line. when the trim was on the car, you could not tell the belt line was even there , being hidden by the trim.

res_14_z1967_fairlaneside_view-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

Edited by awbcrazy

I think the "Desperado" box art car on the original AMT '67 Fairlane was one of the best one's I have seen also. On the contrary, the original kit was a replica of the GT version of the 1967 Ford Fairlane, which did not have the lower side mouldings like what is in the photograph in your post. The side mouldings came on the "500" and the "XL".

2006_0603fordsatcarlisle20060097.jpg

Keith Marks has a pretty comprehensive '67 Fairlane decal set in his line, with the side mouldings included. When I built mine, I was going to do it as an XL, but installing the body line was not all that hard, so I took the plunge.

Maybe on the next one, I may do an XL as a convertible to be different.

Edited by Ron Hamilton