Model Cars Magazine Forum

I saw this kit in Hobby Lobby last week and couldn't resist it.  

Stearman01.thumb.jpg.4aa5af1f2e2e06274bb

That marvelous wooden look propeller is done with the kit decals and a little touch up with paint.

Stearman02.thumb.jpg.f5e28619770dab426f2

Those wire braces are not included in the kit and I wasn't sure how hard it would be to add them but they add so much to the model that they are worth the effort. Turns out these weren't that hard to do but the ones for the wings will be much longer.  

Nice looking Stearman.  I finished one a little while ago.  It was a really nice kit & went together well, but I gave up on the rigging.  Just couldn't get it to work.  I don't remember the double rigging in front of the cockpit, though.  The cross braces, yes, but not those doubles.  Good luck with the wing rigging.

They look great -- it'd have to be a blue and yellow one, I think!

I don't suppose it comes with the parts for a cowl and a Wright engine, does it? I'ld love to do one of these:

I've met Vic Norman, and spent a very enjoyable day at the airfield where these hang out. It's also home to Nick Mason's car collection: that was a guided tour to remember!

bestest,

M.

They look great -- it'd have to be a blue and yellow one, I think!

I don't suppose it comes with the parts for a cowl and a Wright engine, does it? I'ld love to do one of these:

It actually does. I was in a local Hobbytown USA the other day and there was an "airshow" version. Full cowl over the engine and a nice color scheme. 

Search on-line sources and you might be able to find it.

Well, they are definitely there in that photo.  What material are you using for the rigging?

Kind of a long story but many years ago I built a multi-media model that had wire wheels that had to laced by hand. The kit included miles more wire than was needed to do the wheels. It's .010" diameter and looks like stainless steel but is much softer and cuts easily. I've been using it for detail stuff for years. 

More progress. Well, it certainly is colorful.

Stearman06.thumb.jpg.8a9b39e9abc90dea365

Still got a ways to go. The biggest problem right now is that the top wing has a very slight upward bend and so those outboard struts don't reach. I'm letting the central struts dry and then I'll try to figure out some way to pull the wings and struts together.  I knew things were going too easy!  

I'm calling it done!

Stearman08.thumb.jpg.6b0f1dbcfcc83bb4a87

You may notice one wire missing from the tail above. I noticed after I shot these photos. It was laying on the workbench right where it fell off and it's back on now.

Stearman09.thumb.jpg.526f41bab2951c9c72e

Stearman10.thumb.jpg.f44f8fe5a5ef90bebcb

Well, it will never make the grade at an IPMS show but that's okay with me. It was a nice change of pace from cars and it was fun. 

This one was so much fun I decided to do another. 

Stearman11.thumb.jpg.59f1fbb177bd718df58

This is the air show version we mentioned above. I just happened to see it on the shelf at a local hobby shop and couldn't resist it.

Paint is Testors Model Master Light Ivory and all the scallops are kit decals. 

You can see the main differences between this one and the military version, the full cowling around the engine and the wheel pants.

The wings are different too. The military version has large ailerons on the lower wing only while this version has smaller ailerons on both wings.

Nicely done.

Possible stupid question: What is that grille-like thing on the upper wing?

No such thing as a stupid question, Harry. That's the gas tank. The instructions called for it to be painted aluminum although some of the photos I saw on the net showed that many had the tank painted the same color as the wing.

The instructions for the air show version don't call for the tank to be painted separately. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...