Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jet Dragster that really works!!

Hammerdown

Scratch built 1/12th scale Jet Dragster that really goes, fire, smoke and all! Using styrene balloon straws I fabricated this Jet Dragster chassis. This car goes like stink, powered by C-class hobby rocket engine that slides into a PVC pipe inside the muffler tape covered, afterburner, tailpipe of the scratch built General Electric J85 jet engine. I run it down the street on a scale quarter mile length of fish line, anchored at both ends. after crossing the finish line the engine back fires and pushes out the parachute that slows the smoking machine. It's very cool to see and I entertain the neighbourhood regularly by match racing another version I have built. 

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

Edited by Hammerdown
photos didn't download

Very kool, I have my old car I did this to when I was younger. I used the general Lee and have wings on it in an attempt to keep it on the ground. I never used tethers I just stood behind it and lit it up!!!! They are definatley kool to see in action!!!!!!!!!!

PLEEEEEEESE do a video.

X2

I had built something similar with a Monogram 70 Boss 429 kit long ago. Used the body and a scratch built chassis. First run was an epic fail. Used nails in the asphalt parking lot with a line between...... but they were too close, car hit the second nail at full speed. Pretty cool to see though. 

Once upon a time long ago the school I was going to had us build cars that were propelled by a CO2 cartridge. They did it in the gym. Never could do that now. They were run on a line and only went straight.

I did the very same thing here in Jr. High before they were all renamed "middle schools" in Florida. It was a wood and metal shop class. We were given a block of wood and we learned how to create a template for the top and side which we then cut on a band saw. A hole was predrilled in the back for the CO2 cartridge and we put screw eyes in the bottom so it could run along the string. I loved that class.

We had a blast with those back in the late '60s. I mounted one to an old Russkit inline brass chassis and spent many an hour attempting to set the land speed record.

Here's a couple pics of my old one, had to dig it out.....

I used a pnuematic air muffler for the end cap on the motor tube, that way when the engine kicked it's blast it just pops the motor out of the back of the car.... Wings were added for the fun of it as I was a kid then.... Needless to say the hood and grille were blown off as it went airborn a couple times and landed nose first!!!

P1050846_zps1a75f6cr.jpg

P1050851_zpszoxp5qgw.jpg

P1050852_zpsra24ni2n.jpg

Edited by DrKerry