Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush Needels What`s the Best Size

Hi Greg,

Painting with an airbrush involves lots of factors.  Acrylic, enamel, lacquer?  I've had best results with all of these with an 0.5mm tip and a healthy amount of air pressure, the thing should hiss when the button is pushed.

Thin paint too!

Lots of guys will reply, since no one has, I'll do it now.

For Alclad and other specialty paints, a thinner tip is needed or else the paint will just run out of the tip when you tilt the fugger. 

Trial and error is the key word.

You'll get it,  not to worry.  Just a little practice and you're set to go.

Michael

Most air brushes have an option to switch out the needles and jet/nozzle. I had an Iwata HP-CS which comes with a .35mm needle and jet/nozzle. I also had a .5mm needle and jet/nozzle for it. I use the word Had because someone stole it from my car a few weeks ago. I mostly use the Tamiya acrylics. I find their metallics work better with the .5mm than the .35 cause they clog. I also use Golden's High Flow Acrylics. I find that the pearl colors work pretty well with the .5mm. Everything else for Tamiya and Golden, I run the .35mm because I find that I get too much running, pooling and other problems. This has to do with the size of the pigment. Larger pigments need a larger opening. Finer pigments do well with smaller openings. 

I know that the size of the needle determines the spray pattern of an airbrush.  What needle or needles would be the best chose of airbrushing 1/25 and possibly 1/12 scale cars.

My favorite and most useful airbrushes are those that are equipped with .75mm needles and nozzles. 

Thanks for the feedback folks. I currently have a Paasche VL. with a number two needle/nozzle set.  I have not intention of getting read on my current airbrush because it does a decent job but I`m thinking about  doing an upgrade. I am transitioning from enamels to automotive quality lacquers ( i.e. MCW Automotive Finishes / Scale Finishes etc.) and was seeking some insight on what needle/nozzle combination has been working well for others.  I have learned that the needle/nozzle combination is important as well as what type of media (enamel/acrylic/lacquer) your going to run through it are important considerations when selecting a new brush. As Helper Monkey pointed out the viscosity of the pigment once thinned makes a big difference in the guns operation (clogging) and the quality of the paint job. Larger pigments need a larger opening while finer pigments do well with smaller openings.

Edited by 69NovaYenko