Model Cars Magazine Forum

White 7400 & Detroit 6V71 project

I have real internet again - no more slower then dial-up satellite. I can look at stuff again which means I have had a lot of forum catching up to do from the past year.  In my spare time I found a "how to conversion " for a Detriot 8V71 to a  6V71.
 I had to give it a go and it was pretty easy and fun except my Miter box is wore out and cuts vertical angles.

Here is the conversion , now I need to find a project worthy of it.

PB174294.jpg

Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Clayton thanks for the great ideas - I love the trucks in the pics.  I have for years wanted to do a coe 2 axle daycab. I dont have anything around here though for a accurate single axle setup.

Brian - my older brother in Colorado has a '59 Ford 4wd on 1 ton axles that he built about 30 years ago. It has a 4 cyl Detroit with a 5&4 Brownie followed by the transfer case.

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Thanks guys for the kind compliments even though you can see how crooked some of the parts are <_<

That miter box is history.

I have decided to install this engine in a White 7400 coe I picked up some time back. 

Found some parts to get the interior looking like business.

I am going to cheat and put a curtain divider in behind the seats .

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Way cool, do you happen to remember the interior colors ? I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to paint the inside.

Interior green. Similar to ww2 aircraft and rr locomotives, Can be found in both model rr and milatary paint sections of your lhs usually called interior green.

That's right on some, but to me the model aircraft colors look a little too florescent or something. There are a color that appear to be more of a blue, and if I remember right, that was the interior color of the one that my dad drove.Interior_7400_White_1.thumb.jpg.2618ee8d

Interior_White_7400_5.thumb.jpg.ccbbc628Interior_White_7400_6.thumb.jpg.d5d5a361

How are you going to do the air intake??

Afbeelding

here is the routing of the airintake the pipe go true the cab and crossover to the bleu filter

here a other picture of it

Afbeelding

i have both picture,s now on my computer 

was to late for the white i have build but for the second one i use this and also the colors of the interior

that green looks like the mack green

hope this helps for you guys

jacobus

That's awesome Brian, you first ever rode in a 7400. Guess it shows my age. My first ride was in a flat top K100.

It was the last trip that truck took too. My dad pulled it into the shop that night and it burned to the ground over night. The company had two more though. But my dad also drove a K100 with an 8v-71 and I rode many a mile in that one.

Afbeelding

here is the routing of the airintake the pipe go true the cab and crossover to the bleu filter

here a other picture of it

Afbeelding

i have both picture,s now on my computer 

was to late for the white i have build but for the second one i use this and also the colors of the interior

that green looks like the mack green

hope this helps for you guys

jacobus

Jacobus I have been trying to get a picture from the angle of your first picture. That is the best one that I have seen yet. Thanks for that post!!

Thank you for posting the pictures and interior color information , I spent most of the day looking for references and only found one decent pic. All of those pics are a great help.

Not sure what I am going to do for the air intake - the "wall furnace" intake looks kind of plain , I might have to do an fleet / owner added custom .

Last one I saw was a 68. I remember someone put green shag carpet on the doghouse and custom plywood box housing the kraco 8 track and fuzzbuster but hey it was the 70s LOL.

Hey I remember those old Krako Breakos and those fuzzbusters that were half the size of a shoebox. Shag carpet I try not to remember...

Making forward progress but slowly. I am not even going to tell you how much time I have spent getting the cab mounted and lined up.  I have it in the ballpark and currently modifying the Astro round fuel tanks.