Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Nova Wagon (Mom's Toy) Sleeper Street Rod Finally Finished! 12-5-15

microwheel

Morning guys, sorry for the lack of updates the last few days. I wanted to get the wagon body cleared wet sanded and polished. Got that out of the way, so now I'll try to take some time and get back to getting a update or two posted.

Getting back to the chassis work. My last post was on the front suspension and engine. Today I'll try to post what I can on the rear suspension. For the rear suspension I elected to use a 60[s style corvette rear suspension rather than the kit supplied stock nova suspension. This was supplied from the Revell 37 ford street rod kit just like the front suspension. This worked out well for the sleeper street rod theme I was going after for the nova wagon. I had to do a little measuring and modifying on the chassis itself to make it work, But it turn out the way I wanted it and still gives it that near perfect stock ride height. I scratch made a set of rear shocks out of evergreen plastic tubing, to go along with it, and then detailed everything out with brake lines fuel line and e-brake setup. Even the kit stock exhaust and drive shaft still sit and fits like their suppose to. All and all I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

DSCF6115

DSCF6096

Here's a pic of the overall finished chassis. The rest of the exhaust will get installed once the body and interior is mated to the chassis.

DSCF6094

Here is a pic of the stock 66 Nova SS Chassis from my Pop's Toy build for comparison.

DSCF5989

And finally here is a pic of the 66 Nova Wagon {Mom's Toy) body. I thought you might want to see how it looks now that it is cleared and polished out. I also took time yesterday to get the BMF foil work done on it. This morning I've been working on getting the glass installed. The front windshield was the last of that process and is till drying.

DSCF6140

I'm hoping in the next couple days to get the interior installed and if all goes well get the chassis mated to the body. Then the real fun will begin. All the fine finishing detail work lol.

Stay tuned for more and thanks for looking. Comments are always welcome.

got the body, interior and chassis mated together this morning. Also set the radiator core support in place. Still got lots more to do. I'll post more as I get go along. Thanks for looking. Sorry the pics aren't the best, having camera troubles this morning. I should be able to post better ones next time lol.

DSCF6155

DSCF6162

DSCF6164

DSCF6154

DSCF6163

DSCF6160

Comments always welcome.

Hey thanks a lot guys. Got a little bit more done on Mom's Toy (66 nova wagon) this weekend. I decided to add the chrome side molding to the wagon after all. Instead of using BMF I elected to go with the photo-etched molding provided with the 66 nova script kit from the Model Car Garage. I had to modify it a little since the body is a 4 door. but that didn't take much work. I just cut the piece that would have went on the rear quarter panel to fit on the doors area and then used the section that was intended for the SS door on the rear quarter panel. It worked out just fine.I glued it in place using Testors Clear gloss Lacquer carefully brushed onto the area of the body, and then placed the script on and let it dry. Still got the passenger side to do yet though. I also mounted the rear bumper and tail lights and the tailgate molding from the photo-etched kit. The tailgate trim did have to be shortened up a little to fit right, but that too did not take a lot of work. I just trimmed the ends of it off with photo-etched cutters and saved the end pieces, then shortened the tailgate piece up and, using CA glue on a toothpick, I re-attached the end pieces and then attached the hole thing to the tailgate.The tail lights were then detail painted with Tamiya clear red for the stop lights and Testors Perl white for the back up lights. I scratch made new rocker panel chrome trim using evergreen plastic strips covered with MBF, since the kit supplied rocker chrome pieces were made for the SS version.

I still have more work to do, including completing the exhaust system and lots more exterior bits and pieces to add, as well as a few odds and ends in the engine bay. But I think it's starting to look like I envisioned it when I started it. I'll post more when I get more done.

DSCF6170

DSCF6193

DSCF6177

DSCF6182

DSCF6178

Thanks for looking and as always, comments always welcome.

Got the rest of the exhaust completed on the wagon chassis today. That pretty much wraps up the chassis work so now maybe I can keep it on all fours while I work on the rest of the model LOL. Thanks for looking and as always, comments always welcome.

DSCF6195

DSCF6197

DSCF6196

More coming as I get it done.

Mom's Toy (66 nova wagon) is almost done. I got the rest of the photo-etched script on it this morning. I also got the windshield wipers and door handles cleaned up and painted gloss black, I just got to shoot them with some Alclad Chrome and then install them. Then a couple of odds and ends in the engine bay and the license plates and side view mirror and she will finally be complete.

Here are a few final pics before I finish it up.

DSCF6207

DSCF6208

DSCF6217

DSCF6212

DSCF6210

DSCF6209

DSCF6215

Thanks for looking everyone.