Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 36 Ford?

noname

Has anybody got this kit? Any pictures?

product_zpsjtfptekn.jpg

I was wondering what the detail was like ( I know it's an older molding) and if it comes with a decal sheet similar to the new 37 Chevy kit.

Thanks in advance.

There was a thread on this recently.  It has good detail for the era in which it was originally released.  According to some, the doors are incorrect for the roadster.  My Dad built the original as a roadster, and it looks nice .  I plan to build it as a 3-window coupe.  It's a nice kit. 

Here's a full kit review:  http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/amt-1936-ford-is-it/  In addition to showing the kit contents, the review compares various previous issues of the kit, such as this image showing the chrome trees from the first (1961) and second (1967) issues, so you can compare the newest Round 2 kit contents to the earlier (and very expensive, collectible) versions of the kit.  

DSC 0050

In all, there are about 35 kit reviews from introductions over the last several years posted at this link:  http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/  Make sure to use the "Roll Feature" so that you can read the captions that go with each image.  Hope this helps, and thanks for looking.   Cheers...TIM ;

Thanks Tim, this was the review I had found.  I knew it was yours but thought I should let you put it out there yourself.  These kit reviews are very helpful.  It allows us to better decide how to spend our hard earned cash. I am going to check out the rest of your reviews.  Thanks again.

I love '36 3 windows. I built  one a while back with the chopped top. I remember having a hard tome getting the grille to fit correctly. also, the roof didn't line up all that great to the body. Other than that it was pretty good.

Thanks Tim, this was the review I had found.  I knew it was yours but thought I should let you put it out there yourself.  These kit reviews are very helpful.  It allows us to better decide how to spend our hard earned cash. I am going to check out the rest of your reviews.  Thanks again.

Matt....glad it worked out.  Best regards...TIM

I'm about 98% sure the chopped top has been re-tooled, and not done as an exact match of the very cool original.

I have BOTH the recent issue and several versions of the old-tool kits on the shelves. I'll look into it carefully in the next day or two.

I've built several of the old-tool version over the years, and fitting the top, chopped OR stock, to the body shell has always been challenging, even on the 5-window version. Poor fit of the turret-top is what generally ruins these models. It IS entirely possible to do a very clean build, but it takes more than average effort and thinking-through just exactly what you need to do to get it to fit together well.

And yes, the doors are incorrect for a roadster.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm about 98% sure the chopped top has been re-tooled, and not done as an exact match of the very cool original.

I have BOTH the recent issue and several versions of the old-tool kits on the shelves. I'll look into it carefully in the next day or two.

I've built several of the old-tool version over the years, and fitting the top, chopped OR stock, to the body shell has always been challenging, even on the 5-window version. Poor fit of the turret-top is what generally ruins these models. It IS entirely possible to do a very clean build, but it takes more than average effort and thinking-through just exactly what you need to do to get it to fit together well.

Fitting the new chopped top is just as much of a challenge as fitting the original....but from the big picture perspective, it's still much, much easier than having to chop a stock three window coupe top.   TIM 

Jimmy Flinstone solves that top fit problem for about $15 

flinstone 36 ford.JPG

True, that.  However, the limited number of Jimmy Flintstone bodies I have used in model have required considerable effort to prep for use and paint, particularly on the iunfinished/rough nside surfaces where "glass" surfaces mount and interior panels mount, etc.   So at least in my limited experience, it's not quite as easy as just pay $15 and you're ready to go.  Your experiences may differ..... TIM 

Well...there's that little problem of the widening, climbing character molding at the front of the doors, and the kinda deep looking scribe below the A-pillar...

You'll notice the REAL car doesn't look like that...  SM.003.jpgall

Yupper....and on the AMT reissue there's some very light witness marks from returning the door cut on the body to the correct for three door (and incorrect for Roadster) location, and some mild quarter panel undulations behind the doors....these are pretty easy to fix.  The upward slope you mention and trying to achieve a consistent bevel on the undercut/light catch that runs along the fender tops and below the DLO as it approaches the A-Pillar touchdown....now those are going to take some work.    TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

So, the doors are correct for the coupe? 

I had this conversation with someone a ways back, but doesn't one of the two body styles have a longer curb-side door or something like that? In any event, I remember it was a case to re-scribing the door-lines to fix the problem. 

I have one of these downstairs from the mid-late '80s, although I don't know if it has the coupe roof in it (probably does,) if not, so I grab another one.

Charlie Larkin

Just as with any discussion of early AMT Trophy Series V8 Ford kits, it's wise to remember that the first five of those kits ('32 Ford roadster and coupe, '40 Ford coupe and sedan, and the '36 Ford coupe/roadster) were all designed and tooled in the era late 1958-60/61. and as such were fairly crude by today's standards.  After all, the age group they were aimed at were then 10 or 11 too perhaps 15 or 16, and none of us kids back then had anything like the skills and knowledge we've gained in the intervening 55+ years.  What we saw back then as cool, fantastic model kits really don't stand much close scrutiny today.  Also, it's fair to remember that the kit designers and pattern makers at companies such as AMT were also in the midst of a learning curve as well, still developing the skills of referencing real cars along with developing their industrial pattern-making techiques into the realm of creating really good scale models.  With all of this in mind, when critiquing kits of that now long-ago era, it's only fair to keep this in mind, when viewing them from the point of view of living in this digital age.

Art

Everything previously said about this kit is true. But for guys like me who built these when it was new and I was in that 12-15 year old group, I'm willing to overlook it's short comings and just take it for it is and have fun with it. I built this one just a couple of years ago.

3601-vi.thumb.jpg.84fa4f5bdf035b29a5d959

3602-vi.thumb.jpg.704ca0c3b2516401486877

3603-vi.thumb.jpg.7d9aa3eff1f1e3784f28fa

Just to clarify my position on these...I love this old kit. I've never bad-mouthed it, and I've overcome the top-fit issues on several. It's well-proportioned, and the earlier-release chopped-top 3-window version is one of the coolest rods ever kitted...IMHO.

It DOES take more skill and effort to produce a first-rate model than some others might.

Bernard Kron's chopped 3-window is one of the coolest of the cool...

DSCF5013-web.jpg

DSCF5031-web2-sepia.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There was a build review a few years ago but I can't remember which MC issue or who wrote it. Oh yeah, I wrote it, but I still can't remember which issue it was in. I do remember that it was run in black and white, which made my mostly flat light blue look like grey primer. Not a bad kit, upper tier for the time I would say.

• 2 years later...