Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 36 Ford?

noname

I'm going to do one soon. Likely fenderless. I'll admit I'm not looking forward to mating the roof and body. I'm planning the solvent-glue-and-thin-stock-into-the-seam trick to get it looking smooth. 

I got the kit from a friend missing the wide whites and steelies (some friend, I know). If anyone has some to trade let me know.

I made a cut down the center of the firewall and added 1 x 2 mm styrene strip to widen that area by 2 mm, which eliminated the poor fit of the roof. You'll have minimal seam cleanup on the mating areas. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Edited by SfanGoch

18 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I made a cut down the center of the firewall and added 1 x 2 mm styrene strip to widen that area by 2 mm, which eliminated the poor fit of the roof. You'll have minimal seam cleanup on the mating areas. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Very cool. Did you split the firewall only, but the cowl as well?

Just the firewall. Doing that, and adding the 2 mm wide strip lined everything up perfectly. The only other things you'll need to do is tweak the lower rear and side edges (Is that the B or C pillar?) of the roof to conform to the curvature of the rear deck. The second thing is to re-scribe the rear door panel lines where they meet at the roof/body joint because the shape is incorrect.

17 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Nice paint job....what did you use?

If you mean mine Steve, it's House of Color candy brandywine over a metallic pink base. It turned out a bit lighter than I expected but I'm happy with it.

I thought it might be House of Color...their paint really stands out...never tried it myself though...dont know where you can find it.

P.S. the other 36's shown have great paint jobs too. I especially like that Lilac Lavender one imitating the box art.

• 9 months later...

Not that this answers your question. Does your 61 kit molded in gray have wide 5 artillery style wheels? The black ones should have wide 5 wheels but not the artillery style.

Basically, I have been told that the first issue of this kit had the artillery wheels, and none of the kits since them got those wheels.

32 minutes ago, 68shortfleet said:

...Basically, I have been told that the first issue of this kit had the artillery wheels, and none of the kits since them got those wheels.

I'm curious...told by whom?

I have multiples of every issue, even the early gray ones. I've never seen "artillery" wheels in any of them.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying I've never seen them, even in the first-issue boxing.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Wow. I have a LOT of these things, and I've never seen those wheels...and one of the first things I look at when I get one IS the wheels (to see if they're any good), as that finely-engraved outer line is usually bodged by somebody having twisted it off the sprue, or there's glue smeared all over 'em.

Fascinating.  

I'd sure like to know what the deal is, 'cause, like I said, several of mine are in the original-issue boxes. 

The earliest kits were gray, kits produced later (but still in first issue boxing) were black.  The second issue was sold by mail through Ford, and at some Ford dealers.  That issue has a different box without any AMT logo on it, and the kit has the optional parts but not the Pontiac engine.  That one is molded in black also.  The next issue after that was white.

Some of the early Seventies Street Rods series '36 kits might be black (most are white).  The Dick Tracy issue is black too, but that's a five-window.

As for the slotted wheels, I think I've got one or two of those with defects in the slot area.  AMT probably caught that early on, and altered the tooling to eliminate the slots.  I'd say that a nice, clean one of those would be a good candidate for resin casting.  

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

The earliest kits were gray, kits produced later (but still in first issue boxing) were black.  The second issue was sold by mail through Ford, and at some Ford dealers.  That issue has a different box without any AMT logo on it, and the kit has the optional parts but not the Pontiac engine.  That one is molded in black also.  The next issue after that was white.

Some of the early Seventies Street Rods series '36 kits might be black (most are white).  The Dick Tracy issue is black too, but that's a five-window.

As for the slotted wheels, I think I've got one or two of those with defects in the slot area.  AMT probably caught that early on, and altered the tooling to eliminate the slots.  I'd say that a nice, clean one of those would be a good candidate for resin casting.  

Yup, that's exactly the way I've understood it, and the kits I have back that up. Only thing I don't have in ANY of 'em, gray or black in the original boxes, is slotted wheels. I've got the dealer kits too.

And I agree...they would be a great candidate for resin repops. Wide-5 slots are very desirable with some of the retro-guys. 

image.jpeg.1dbe83e171dc9add545d67c3407c8f16.jpeg

Damm. Now I have to start looking for those wheels...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

12 hours ago, BubbaBrown said:

Its a long time ago but I remember all the trophy series back in the 60's being molded in black. I think there was a Dick Tracy version in the 80's or 90's being molded in black, stock build only.

I posted this somewhere else in a similar thread.  Hey I'm old and don't remember so good any more.  Anyway, I think AMT was cranking out so many Trophy Series kits in the early Sixties, they used whatever color plastic they had on hand.

All the original '36 Fords I've ever seen were molded in gray.  I've seen the '40 Ford Coupe and Sedan, and the '49 Mercury, molded in black, grey and light blue plastic.  I have an original '40 Sedan molded in blue. At least I'm guessing it's original from the decals and instruction sheet; the instructions say "these cars are 20 years old now."  Which REALLY makes me feel old.

There are some original Trophy Series kits I've seen that were always molded in the same color: black plastic for the '32 Ford Coupe and Roadster, white for the '57 Chevy, Ford and T-Bird. Never seen those in any other colors. But it wouldn't surprise me if somebody had those molded in different colors.  I've also seen several original '58 Chevy kits molded in light blue.

I just pulled out an original-box '36, kit #2136-170. Molded in black. No slots, though very interestingly the instructions SHOW slotted wheels, but the box-art does not.

EDIT: Now I'm beginning to wonder if somehow, coincidentally, all my early-issue AMT '36 Ford kits have been cherry-picked for the wheels. I've bought a lot of kits over the years where good stuff has been removed, but not, to the best of my recollectory, where good stuff has been replaced with other stuff.

Hmmmmm...but none of the gluebomb '36s I have are on those wheels either.

I've been robbed !!!

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've got a box of '36 parts stashed, and I know another guy who likewise has a bunch of stuff.  The search for a nice, clean, unused slotted wheel begins!

As for Trophy Series kit colors, the '25 Model T kits were molded in black for all of the Sixties as far as I can see.  The issues with the C-cab parts had those parts molded in white, but the remainder of the parts were black.  Those issues all had the one-piece wheel/tire units for the stock version, so to get black tires they'd mold all of those parts in black.  The C-cab parts were tooled several years after the original kit, so they probably didn't fit into an already crowded double kit tool so were molded separately.  The '29 roadster kits were all white because they included the Ala Kart which was (1:1) pearl white.

Most (not all) '32 Ford kits were molded in black in the Sixties.  There was a one-shot Collectors Series (all prewar Fords except for a '37 Chevy coupe); I've got a '32 roadster from that series, and it's white.  The '32 phaeton (first issued in '69) was molded in brown.  The custom-only '32 sedan was molded in several colors.  I've got parts from those in yellow, white, light blue, and red.  The '34 Ford pickup was molded in red, black, and light blue in the first issue box, probably white for the other Sixties issues save the one-shot Elegance Series issue which is red.  The '36 kits are covered here. 

'40 coupes and sedans were molded in various colors, black among them.  The '40 delivery was molded in yellow at first, some of those early kits may have been white but the vast majority were yellow.  The '49 coupe, '50 convertible, and '53 pickup were also molded in multiple colors during the Sixties. 

Edited by Mark
correction

20 hours ago, 68shortfleet said:

20181215_175854.jpg

The wheels with the slot detail intact must be extremely early production pieces.  I went through a box of '36 Ford kit parts, and only found two gray wheels.  Both have the slot detail.  One is hopelessly gluebombed, the other is unused but is molded with what appears to be damage to the tooling that wrecked two of the slots.  In those areas, they're raised areas and not slots.  

It appears the tooling was modified to eliminate the slot detail.  The smooth area (where the slots should be) on the black wheels is raised compared to the same area on the gray wheels.  Grinding further into the tool insert(s) for the front side of the wheels would do just that to the now-slotless wheels.