[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
noname

Amt 36 Ford?

Man, I didn't remember seeing one with the slots before. Going to have to dig out my box of early '36 Ford parts and see if I have any!

If I had one of these actual rims I could make a CAD model in about two hours. The wheel hub in another two and print them in the normal model scales. Printed could easily be refined into resin mold masters.

Your pictured plastic model representations are rather poor IMHO.

24 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

If I had one of these actual rims I could make a CAD model in about two hours. The wheel hub in another two and print them in the normal model scales. Printed could easily be refined into resin mold masters.

Plenty of usable images on the web. Figure 16" diameter at the tire-bead seating area. Extrapolate the rest of the dimensions. Should be absolutely good enough, considering how arithmetic-challenged even the major manufacturers are today.

Related image

Image result for 1935 Ford wide-5 wheel

1 hour ago, Flat32 said:

I took the pics of the models with my cell phone. I will get a better pic this weekend. I have 3-1936 Fords & they all have those wheels.

I have no problem letting someone use one to cast them.

17 minutes ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

...I have 3-1936 Fords & they all have those wheels.

I have no problem letting someone use one to cast them.

Are any of yours perfect?

Usually there's some edge damage on the non-slot wheels, and there's often buggers and flaws in the parts themselves...which is why I always look at the wheels first whenever I get an AMT '36 in any condition.

I have a miniature mill and lathe in case some pattern work needs to be done prior to taking molds.

Master models that are made by reverse engineering from a factory blueprint or actual item are best and easily done.  Reverse engineering from photos is more like work and usually compromised on accuracy.  FreeCad, free download software,  allows you to import a photo and trace over it.  Problem with the wheel is no cross section of the center.  

Not to worry. I have access to real ones. 

And...I located and purchased two virgin molded-in-gray complete kits last night. They'll be in my hot little hands this coming week.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Another use for the non slotted wheels would be for a VW type 1. I built a copy of a long ago dune buggy I had. The 1:1 used the stock VW wheels in front and widened VW wheels in the rear. This was based on a '57 chassis so it had the wide 5 wheels. The '36 Ford kit wheels maybe a little out of scale but not so you would notice. So if someone was building a VW and wanted an exposed wheel with no hub cap these look the part. 

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, 68shortfleet said:

Not that this answers your question. Does your 61 kit molded in gray have wide 5 artillery style wheels? The black ones should have wide 5 wheels but not the artillery style.

Basically, I have been told that the first issue of this kit had the artillery wheels, and none of the kits since them got those wheels.

Jason....thanks for asking that question!  I never had a clue about on this....

I just looked in my stash where I have two new (old) first issue AMT '36 Fords.  One cast in gray, the other in black.  And lo and behold....both have the Artillery wheels.  I didn't see any overt tool damage on them, but they were not the clean castings we expect today, either.   

These are both pristine, unused kits and I don't want to part them out....but somewhere I have a box of gluebomb  AMT '36 Ford first issue parts......if I can find it, and if one of those parts is the Artillery wheel, and it looks in good condition, maybe I (we) could talk Norm into casting some? 

TIM 

My guess is that the slots went away around the time the chopped coupe went away. But I could be wrong. Just for posterity,  the original issue was also molded in light blue. Unfortunately my example is incomplete and missing the wheels.

20190112_214415.jpg

When did this "Artillery wheel" thing start ?:huh:

Edited by Greg Myers

You'd think more of these wheels would be floating around in parts boxes...but no!  With that first issue, the stock wheels were used regardless of which version was built.  Unless the builder used wheels from another kit, those wheels wound up on the built model, more often than not with the custom caps glued onto them.

Early kits were indeed molded in blue, too: someone I contacted looking for an early wheel did turn up a light blue one with the slot detail.  Unfortunately, like my gray one, it has tooling damage in the detail area. 

Here's a few more pics of my gray & black 36 Ford wheels. None seem all that perfect in the slot/spoke area.

Can't hardly see with the naked eye,but bad spots show with Macro camera setting.

A-G Bill, let me know when you get those 36 kits. If the wheels are not there,I will gladly give you a set of 4.

models36Rims 008.JPG

models36Rims 009.JPG

models36Rims 012.JPG