Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Outlaws

I have been watching the show Street Outlaws and have been considering building something in the style that they drive. Is there a specific type of car or something close to the Super Stock or Pro Mod class or are they just a hodge podge of setups. 

Might be a good use of some my NASCAR parts.

I did a site search and it seems not very many here are that fond of the show but my question is about the cars not if you like the show or not. So please keep your responses relevant to the question.

Thank You   

Most of the heavy hitter cars are Pro Stock chassis built. The small tire cars, like the Mustangs, are mostly subframed cars. 

I would recommend the Monogram/Revell Pro Stock kits for donor chassis. Or at least they would offer a close start. 

I have a Revell  Motocraft Thunderbird  I think is a Pro Stock .Would maybe be a good starting spot

You could source kits like the pro-street AMT 66 Nova, AMT '70 Super bee, Revell 67 Malibu. Revell 90 Mustang, AMT '69 GTX, AMT '67 Chevelle which feature a back halved non-tube chassis. Or for full tube chassis type racers, the Revell/Monogram Tbird, Beretta, Lincoln and Camaro.

I used to watch the show before I trimmed down the cable. Now I have seen a couple of the cars in Magazines lately and the cars look to be better than they were before. I think that the money that the show gives them went into the cars. I would say get a prostock car or a promod car and use that chassis as a starting point. May not be 100% correct but it would be faster than scratch. 

http://www.hotrod.com/news/street-outlaws-justin-big-chief-shearer-and-brian-chucky-davis-crash-during-tv-filming/

Hot Rod, IIRC, Big Chief and MurderNova are friends with Finnegan and Freiberger.

BTW, if anybody is interested, the Dominato Dart, Silver Unit 3rd Gen Camaro,  and Dung Beetle have all made the switch to EFI w/Haltech equipment in the past 6 months.  There are some decent shots of the Camaro and Beetle on Haltech Youtube channel.

Edited by Joe Handley

I've watched a few episodes, can't say that's I am a fan of the show or theatrics that they seem to pull because of the producers.  The cars are interesting, I'd rather watch it if they would take the racing to a track or other safe racing surface versus "public streets".  Not sure if I read it here, hamb, Hot Rod or somewhere else but NHRA watches the show too watching for their own racers street racing; they'd said they'd pull individuals competition license if they saw them Street Racing on the show.

the cars appear to be running former 80's and 90's Pro Stock type Chassis, possibly well designed Pro Street Set Ups.  Smaller tired cars are probably either back halved or tied-subframe cars.  Most of them look like they're running four link setups.  I see a whole lot of these cars running what many of the quicker bracket cars were running just a few years ago, you have some looking like they're backyard homebrewed and others that may have come out of a legitimate race shop at one time.

The whole NHRA temper tantrum happened this summer and was pretty sell reported, some people think that the NHRA might be pissed that this show might be bringing in better ratings and sponsors than their televised events.  What gets me though, these guy are running on streets that are shut down for the races, with police and EMS present, much like the NHRA did in the begining.

The whole NHRA temper tantrum happened this summer and was pretty sell reported, some people think that the NHRA might be pissed that this show might be bringing in better ratings and sponsors than their televised events.  What gets me though, these guy are running on streets that are shut down for the races, with police and EMS present, much like the NHRA did in the begining.

very well said. I agree with you 110 %. 

It was not about ratings, it was about the whole "Street Racing" thing and these guys running NHRA decals on tv while doing it. Kinda messes up the whole "Dedicated to Safety" motto of the NHRA and it does glorify illegal street racing. 

I think when the boys from drag week showed up on the streets with them it changed the whole thing for NHRA.  NHRA fought long and hard to get the racing to the track for the safety aspect of it all. 

Not every kid watching with a fast car understands what is going on when they film. That is who we all should be worrying about. 

If you have ever watched a body put on a gurney in several white wrapped sheets you would have a different opinion of this . Not a good site. The engine from the car was in the next yard from where the car itself stopped. The phone pole he hit was snapped off above the ground and 10 feet of it was still attached to the lines. The whole middle section was gone. 

You can see on some episodes if you watch in the background/end of the strip, every now and then you can see patrol cars blocking the end of the strip. That and you know if it was a time of... "If the cops show up we gotta jet out of here" how could they possibly pack and go quick?? Especially with the lighting systems.... It is a closed track on roads that aren't used at the time...

I think when the boys from drag week showed up on the streets with them it changed the whole thing for NHRA.  NHRA fought long and hard to get the racing to the track for the safety aspect of it all. 

Not every kid watching with a fast car understands what is going on when they film. That is who we all should be worrying about. 

If you have ever watched a body put on a gurney in several white wrapped sheets you would have a different opinion of this . Not a good site. The engine from the car was in the next yard from where the car itself stopped. The phone pole he hit was snapped off above the ground and 10 feet of it was still attached to the lines. The whole middle section was gone. 

Amen. We came up to a crash site where a late model camaro went airborne in a curve, took out a bank of gas meters, and nosed HARD into a creek bank. Sent the front 2 passengers through the windshield, and paryilized the guy passed out in the back seat. We had to walk our gear to the crash because of the gas leak. When we got to the driver i thought he was holding a towel to the side of his face.... It WAS his face. A huge flap of his face was hanging loose from going through the windshield. The car hit the creek bank so hard, it detached the hood from the car and sent it prob 60 feet further up the road. The worst part was the Highway Patrol officer that showed up at the crash scene was the guys father. 

Edited by bismarck