Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boss 351 Mustang

Renegade

Old MPC  1971 Boss 351 Mustang. Had this one put away and when I pulled it out I noticed I only needed to add the spoiler and a couple of decals. Not happy with the hood decal but it will have to do. Built straight out of the box. As this kit was missing one of the stock tires I used the wider rear tires on the kit. My first post after looking at all the great builds on the forum. Not happy with the pictures but it was the best I could do. All comments welcome.

SAM_0150.JPG

SAM_0178.JPG

SAM_0179.JPG

SAM_0180.JPG

SAM_0181.JPG

Edited by Renegade
Better pictures.

One of my gripes about this kit is they did not redo the front bumper.  On the Boss and regular Mustangs in 71 they had a narrow chrome front bumper.  Only the Mach1's had the urethane front bumper.  Of course a rear spoiler looks like it belongs on a Boss (and the front too).  The louvers were not offered by Ford (only for 69/70) and there is one minor flaw in the kit ( no BOSS 351 engine) or anything close to it much less a ram air setup.  I guess that is all to be expected when they use a 71 Fastback kit that was updated to a 73 and give you some decals and the proclaim it to be a Boss,  At least they did get the grill correct for a Boss/Mach1/Sprint but that's about it.

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 8.jpg

Mustang50 155.jpg

Edited by vamach1
photo

• 3 months later...

The reason for the big bumper on this Boss 351 is that  ERTL reissued the MPC 1973 Mustang that had a 5 mph front bumper. Even the grille was a '73 which they warmed up with a '71 insert. So, this kit is really a 1973, not a 1971. Missing Link has the chrome Boss 351 and standard mustang front bumper. It's like $15 and well worth the money..

There are some decal solutions that help decals snuggle to the surface. Paint must be super smooth and you must BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH hole in the decal to get the air bubbles out. But, I think that is a massive hood decal.