Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Prestige '63 Corvette convertible

FordRodnKustom

The '63 wheel covers and the hard top are both available from Modelhaus. The wheel covers are also in the Revell '63 Vette snapper kits--the ones that don't have the goofy big hot wheels in them anyway.

The Revell '63 snap Corvette are great kits. But, they represent non fuel injected models with a Powerglide and air conditioning. Don't get me wrong, if I could go back to 1963 and order a real Corvette, I would have gone for the air conditioning at least. Making it impossible to order the fuel injection.

I have one of the of Revell snap kit coupes. I also have the Revell '63 promo coupe and convertible that were released a couple of years ago. I love the Revell Vettes. But, I still also like the AMT kits. After all their model cars have engines, with the coveted fuel injection set up, a 4-speed and on their coupe for sure, aluminum wheels.

Are the Revell '63 Corvettes better than AMT's? I can't say. I also love Revell's more full detailed '67 Vettes. My all time favorite Corvette is the '67 convertible. Followed by the '63 coupe. So I'm very lucky to have several different kits representing two of my favorite cars.

I wonder why the A/C wasn't available w/ the FI.  

The old 8 cylinder A/C compressor wouldn't live with the higher RPM's the Fuelie engine would turn. Also the engine lacked the low RPM torque to idle with the load of the A/C on. Driveability  nightmare.

Edited by Craig Irwin
added info

I built this for my dad about 5 years before he died. He owned a triple black 63' convertible with a 327, 4-speed, and the whitewalls and wheel covers. He always used to tell me he had to get rid of it in 67' when I showed up... funny guy until the end, great kit that evokes lotsa good memories...

Jeff

I wonder why the A/C wasn't available w/ the FI.  

GM and others for years would not offer air conditioning with engines with solid lifters. Solid lifter engines could spin higher RPMs than cars with hydraulic lifters. Enough to easily spin belts off of compressors. This is the same reason Chrysler would not offer air with their Hemi back in the 60's.

GM and others for years would not offer air conditioning with engines with solid lifters. Solid lifter engines could spin higher RPMs than cars with hydraulic lifters. Enough to easily spin belts off of compressors. This is the same reason Chrysler would not offer air with their Hemi back in the 60's.

I thought with the Hemi it was because the compressor wouldn't fit?

Charlie Larkin

I think I have one of these downstairs from when they were new and I was in high school, but I'm not sure. I really wasn't into Corvettes (I know, I was a weird kid in high school, now I'm just a weird adult.) My friends used to dream of Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I wanted to order a full-size Ford or GM wagon. 

I'd like to see this come back, too, especially if I don't have one. If nothing else, Round 2 might want to do the drag strip pack with stuff like that TV camera and some of the other odds and ends. I don't even build drag cars and I'd buy it for the assortment of weird and cool stuff that I might want to use someday.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie Larkin

I thought that too. The Hemi went to hydraulic lifters in '71, but I believe they still didn't come with air. Those heads make things mighty crowded to fit in even those large engine bays back then.

Edited by MrObsessive

The '63 'Vette Convertible Prestige kit is on my "someday" build list. I've had this kit for years, but the biggest turnoff is that too basic chassis. I'd kitbash mine with the Revell '67, and fab up some other bits and pieces. I've always liked the standard wheelcovers with whitewalls over the finned aluminum wheels.

Yeah, I guess I'm weird too! :P

Charlie Larkin

Solid lifters has always been my understanding. I may be wrong on this concerning Chrysler's Hemi. But in Chrysler's B body cars there looks like there would be enough room for both the engine and the a/c compressor. And true, they did switch the Hemi over to hydraulic lifters in the end. I don't know why it was not offered then? Then again, how many hydraulic lifter Hemis were built in '71?

By the way, Chrysler did offer air conditioning with their Hemi engines from 1953 - 1958. And those Hemis have big heads, just like the 426. Yet air was offered there. The more I think of it, the I'm inclined to think space was not the big reason.

I do know, Chrysler for space reasons would not offer air conditioning on '70 and '71 E body cars with the shaker hood option. No matter what engine. This is one of few examples I know of were space was the consideration.

The solid lifter issue is the reason you could not get air conditioning in Chevrolet's Camaro Z/28 until 1973. The first year for hydraulic lifters in the Z/28. All solid lifter factory built Corvettes were not available with a/c

Edited by unclescott58