Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to use for a white vinyl interior

I am building a '55 Chevy, an early 60's style mild custom with a shaved hood and trunk and '56 Olds Fiesta hubcaps. Anyway, I want a white interior with just slight satin finish to resemble the naugahyde, (vinyl) that was used back then. In the past, I have used Testors flat white with a satin clear coat. The problem is that the clear has a slight tint to it that gives it an "off-white" color. Can anyone recommend what can use for a true white color?

I'm just finishing a build with a tutone interior. The colors are Orange and white in a combination of white vinyl and an orange cloth pattern. I used Tamiya white primer and masked and sprayed the orange. Then applied the cloth pattern decals and sprayed everything with Tamiya flat clear. It looks very realistic if I say so myself.

I use mostly flat colors for my interiors & then many times a mist coat of pearl to simulate the metallic interiors prevalent on cars from the 50s & 60s.

If you use a flat white & then use the "body oil" technique, it looks pretty close to vinyl or leather.

Just spray your parts with flat white & then rub the surface with your fingers.

The oil from your fingers will leave a sheen on the seats.

I use this technique for convertible tops & it works quite well.

Steve

photo DSCN4588_zpszbaasfqv.jpg photo DSCN4587_zpsj0n31bys.jpg

Jamie, Tamiya white primer works GREAT for replicating white vinyl. One or two coats, let dry for a day and sand lightly with 6000 grit, then polish with a soft cotton cloth

I'll second this technique. It's easier to add a tiny bit of gloss than to remove some, so start with a flat white and add polish, oil, etc. until you reach the desired level of shine or sheen.