Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oshkosh Front discharge mixer- Build pics added !

I just returned from unveiling the mixer to the owners of the concrete plant, they loved the model!! Funny cause one noticed I left off the lower wash down hose, my references pics didn't show one. He explained that they're removed during the cold months to prevent freezing, and my pics clearly show several inches of snow on the fenders. I assured him I would add the missing hose!!

Really enjoyed talking to them, and watching them point out the tiniest details. We tried to find a truck clean enough to photograph it together,  but the newest trucks were on jobs.

Justin- thanks ! Im hoping to build a snow plow  next, yours was fantastic!

JT- your killing me !!! Glad ya like it, something different seems to find its way onto my bench

Sean- Yeah, mixers can sure make a mess of a job site..but their a necessary evil ! Someone gotta "pour" the foundation . Glad ya like. it I'm not planing on parting with the model, just showing them how it turned out after all the help they provided 

Ken- thanks, it took wayyyy longer than expected. but figuring out every part, bracket, and building it properly takes time.

Thanks everyone for their comments, it makes the work worth it!  I'll take a few close ups later

Thanks Jeff,B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!  

Gator - I was inspired by the work Clint Freeman did on his mixer, and info about his work helped me find the right foundation for parts! The Cummins M11 and Allison tranny are his castings . I just added the subtle details. 

The toughest part was finding out every truck in Vitale fleet are different. The actual truck number 124 was damaged in a rollover during the build last year...it's twin 123 became my main reference,  trying to keep the details like the lunch box seen on 124. 

The question about providing plans...I wish I could  but didn't work off of any blueprints.  I was provided a parts book for the truck, and combined multiple measurement, made the parts..first in card stock to check fit, then in appropriate thickness sheet.

Actually that Allison transmission was mastered by me and cast by Jamie Rahmoller. They can still be bought from him. Www.moluminum.com