Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevelle Concours Wagon

Ron Hamilton

I did the final re positioning of the moldings this afternoon. I was not satisfied with the way they sat on the front fenders and rear quarters.

I think they are as close as I am going to get. I have to do a little putty work, and it will be ready for paint. Also, I worked on the seat upholstery pattern change, which is coming along better than I originally thought. I have the doors to do, and just a little work on the seats, and they will be ready for primer. I may be able to photograph it in the next couple of days.

Ron, You mentioned the interior. You might think about using the back seat out of the '67 Chevelle as a base to work from. Based on your success with this build I have started my own '67 El Camino build. Faced with the same problem with the interior I'm going to use the back seat out of the '67 and remove the arm rests and widen the seat as need be. I think you could do the same for your front seat and either get a resin casting of it for the back seat or see if anyone has a back seat left over from a Pro-Street build of the '67. Also the dash from the '67 has the optional Instrumentation and Tach. that is not in the '66. This will give you the option of building the wagon with or without that package.  

Ron, You mentioned the interior. You might think about using the back seat out of the '67 Chevelle as a base to work from. Based on your success with this build I have started my own '67 El Camino build. Faced with the same problem with the interior I'm going to use the back seat out of the '67 and remove the arm rests and widen the seat as need be. I think you could do the same for your front seat and either get a resin casting of it for the back seat or see if anyone has a back seat left over from a Pro-Street build of the '67. Also the dash from the '67 has the optional Instrumentation and Tach. that is not in the '66. This will give you the option of building the wagon with or without that package.  

I thought about that, but I decided to make my own seat trim, and it came out pretty good. I did have a back seat, that I used as the pattern.

The revised trim looks good. Did you switch it over to thinner material, too? 

Charlie Larkin

Yes, 

I found some smaller plastic strip in my plastic box. I also re positioned them. It took a while but it looks a lot better. I plan to build the engine for it today,  I may go a little different from the car in the article, in that I am trying not to spend any more than I have in my stash of paint and parts, and I am not going to cannibalize a new kit for anything in this build. It has to be built with what is on hand. 

I did a little work on the wagon the past few days. I "reupholstered" the seats to the '67 Pattern.

I also did the doors

I decided on Black for the interior, and...

Emerald Green fro the exterior color. While it is not a Factory Standard color, it looks as if it is going to fit the concept. I used what I had, and I have to clear it in the next few days.

Well.

I did some work on the wagon tonight. I polished out the paint and Bare Metaled it. I got it up on its wheels, and it looks pretty good. The interior is 90% complete, I have to find my seat belt material and install them. I ordered some wood-grain decals, as I did not have enough on hand to do the car. It should be here in a few days. . The interior is done, and looks pretty good. with any luck, I should be finished with it this week. As I wrote earlier, the budget is restricting what I am doing on the project, and the wood grain decals broke the bank. I also decided to take the model in a slightly different direction, which I am going to keep quiet about until I unveil the finished model.