Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri's old Opel "Blitz"

This is my take on the venerable Opel Blitz kit from Italeri.

Not very complex, but still holds it's own after all these years. Biggest issue I had was this one was molded in red, black and tan plastic.  

Given my prediliction for armor modelling you could guess where this was going.

Krylon Gray Primer makes a good base.

Wired the engine a little bit then realized the hood was molded shut. Not any more.

Four different colors later I had my mix for RAL 8000, a desert yellow brown used early on in North Africa

Stay tuned.

G

WOW!!! I know how small these kits are. And you have taken a good kit and made it GREAT so far!!! I'm working on a Maultier at the moment too.:D Laser clean build style. Maybe add alittle olive grun blotches.... dress it up in a tree tux....:D i agree with the Krylon gray primer making a good base. most of the earlier Opels left the factory in German gray, and the Krylon gray is a dead ringer for faded German gray. any paint wear through would look perfect.

Edited by bismarck

WOW!!! I know how small these kits are. And you have taken a good kit and made it GREAT so far!!! I'm working on a Maultier at the moment too.:D Laser clean build style. Maybe add alittle olive grun blotches.... dress it up in a tree tux....:D i agree with the Krylon gray primer making a good base. most of the earlier Opels left the factory in German gray, and the Krylon gray is a dead ringer for faded German gray. any paint wear through would look perfect.

...think, its 1/24 kit from italeri.

like what i see - not often a "typical german kit" built here ;)

...think, its 1/24 kit from italeri.

like what i see - not often a "typical german kit" built here ;)

Your right. I think it is 1/24 scale. :D Oops... It sure is set up like the 1/35 scale kit!! Still a great build so far. More please.B)

Edited by bismarck

Thank you Jonathan.

Moving along, I painted the cast resin stowage crates to resemble wood. I used several colors of acrylic over an enamel primer. I finished off with an enamel wask, then gloss coated with some MM Clear Gloss enamel.

Then I Googled some images and printed my own decals.

Now I have crates containing secrets.

And the biggest secret......

G

The stenciling really makes the crates.  A little flat & a little weathering,and they'll be ready for transport.

I recognize many of the symbols that you downloaded, but what's the oval one above the "Vorsicht Nicht Offen"?  And the circular ones on the sheets?

The oval is the seal of the "Deutsches Ahnenerbe", a branch of the SS founded to "research the archaeological and cultural history of the Aryan race". They started trekking the globe in 1935 looking for artifacts such as the Holy Grail, Ark of the Covenant and the Spear of Destiny. 

The circular symbol that resembles a roulette wheel is the "Schwarze Sonne". That is an occult symbol adopted by the SS. The symbol is inlaid on the floor of Wewelsberg Castle, the official HQ for all things SS.

The circular swastica is the emblem of the SS "Wiking" division. These bad azzes were Nordic types inducted into the Waffen SS. No better bunch available to guard your new found loot. 

Thus endeth the history lesson...:D

G

Edited by Agent G