Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Tone Paint /Masking

The safe, general rule I've always heard and what I follow for any paint is no less than 48hrs. I know the humidity in Thailand can be oppressive and can effect dry times, but I assume you'll be drying in climate controlled indoors.

Edited by Lunajammer

Two days should be safe. Once you have your second color masked off make sure ALL of your egdes are pressed down tight THEN spray a light coat of clear to seal the edges. Any seepage under the tape will be clear and that will go away when you shoot the final clear coats. :)

Mark

Edited by astroracer

Also, make sure you're careful of the type of masking tape you use.

Regular bargain basement masking tape can cause all sorts of problems depending upon conditions.

I personally use Tamiya masking tape for paint lines & then fill in with masking paper & blue painters tape.

Tamiya tape will give you a nice sharp line but the adhesive is not so tacky as to pull paint off.

I've had regular masking tape do everything from pulling off paint to not coming off at all if it gets damp & is not removed promptly enough.

& yes, there are other types of tapes that work as well as Tamiya, that's just what I use.

Steve

Steven, I use the old tan colored masking tape from 3-M like we had back-in-the- day and it works just fine.

That's fine Nick, use what works for you.

Personally, I've had so many ruined projects because of basic masking tape, that I will no longer let it touch my paint jobs.

I use 3-M tape as well for certain applications, but not on bodies.

Steve

I agree, 1-2 days is the absolute minimum before I'd even consider attempting overcoating with  a different color. 

For masking, I use 3-M blue tape, and have had pretty good luck with it. I also tried the Testors tape in narrow width for a very narrow strip I needed to mask. Excellent stuff, as long as you don't need wider than 1/4". I have some Tamiya, and I suspect the Testors is very similar, but that's the wide width, and I'm curious to see how well it works. 

Charlie Larkin

I used to use regular masking tape (mostly 3M blue). I tried the special blue vinyl 3M tape but I found it too stiff for complex masking on a small model. Then I found Tamiya tape and that is what I exclusively use for any fine masking. I still use the other masking tapes but only to fill the larger areas which are bordered by Tamiya-taped areas.  Tamiya tape is very thin and very flexible and stretches easily. The adhesive is also very good - not too aggressive and very tight (paint doesn't creep under it).