Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fight back against the idiocracy...

Matt Bacon

The ones with brains and imaginations, as well as those who haven't been convinced that they can't read because of problems that all too often are either over-blown or altogether imaginary, still do read. And they enjoy it. 

Don't worry, education experts and the politicians are working are taking the first two groups and turning them into either the third group or the fourth group- the apathetic. 

I make sure my DeMolay boys read- even the one with dyslexia- which is no imaginary problem, and we talk about what they're reading. 

Charlie Larkin

I have a 10 year old daughter and SHE STILL READS "REAL" BOOKS!!!!! -Sadly, reading anymore I tell ya, for what I know of it growing up and what it is now has DRASTICALLY changed! Matter of fact locally they took out the "Cursive writing"  from the schools! SO, that means when something is written in cursive, (such as a hand written signature) in 10 years they won't be able to read it, and the reasoning is because of the internet or well "computers" they say, I think its terrible! "digital signature"  OMG whats this country becoming!? -Don't get me started!

I have a 10 year old daughter and SHE STILL READS "REAL" BOOKS!!!!! -Sadly, reading anymore I tell ya, for what I know of it growing up and what it is now has DRASTICALLY changed! Matter of fact locally they took out the "Cursive writing"  from the schools! SO, that means when something is written in cursive, (such as a hand written signature) in 10 years they won't be able to read it, and the reasoning is because of the internet or well "computers" they say, I think its terrible! "digital signature"  OMG whats this country becoming!? -Don't get me started!

I hear ya. And I agree 100%.

-I know it Harry, it (I tell ya) bugs the ever-lovin' !@#$ outta me!!!!! I just don't get it.... I'm not even 40 yet and there are those MY AGE that thinks its every day life like this..... I can't imagine!

And your right, it WAS a big thing. As it ought to stay too!

B9317006210Z.1_20150416162125_000_G6SAH9            eb549c3df0b4f0a0385371966244b0c8.jpg

155c0c12b6ea5e1c1f0990c4557cf529.jpg              6d77f91d6e9883bf8dd5f53d5113214a.jpg

Cursive+Writing1.jpg

cursive-in-curriculum-202x300.jpg

Here, here. 

The cartoon with mom and kids is one example of why, if I ever convince some poor, unsuspected woman to marry me and have kids, they will be kept away from electronics and made to learn how to do things by hand and mind as much as possible. 

Charlie Larkin

Funny thing is that many of the older car emblems were written in cursive style (or close to it).

1959-pontiac-bonneville-emblem-jill-rege

1963+Pontiac+Catalina+emblem.jpg

a7c5e5451e10721e584c0634c683b618.jpg So kids of today can't even read those?:wacko:

Funny thing is that many of the older car emblems were written in cursive style (or close to it).

1959-pontiac-bonneville-emblem-jill-rege

1963+Pontiac+Catalina+emblem.jpg

a7c5e5451e10721e584c0634c683b618.jpg So kids of today can't even read those?:wacko:

And the repeatedly-proven-to-be-inferior "whole language" "learning" (I had to suppress a sneering laugh while typing that,) as opposed to the phonetic learning of vocabulary most of us grew up with will ensure they can neither say nor spell it.

Charlie Larkin

And the repeatedly-proven-to-be-inferior "whole language" "learning" (I had to suppress a sneering laugh while typing that,) as opposed to the phonetic learning of vocabulary most of us grew up with will ensure they can neither say nor spell it.

Charlie Larkin

And if "learning" methods like these are being instituted, it again really makes me wonder if the bus isn't already being driven by idiots. How are any of these decisions to teach by proven poor methods...or to just leave out entire segments of proven human knowledge...being made by reasoning, rational, intelligent adults?

The global economic crash (and the seeming inability of the "smart guys" to actually fix it), the largely ineffective and many-years-late attempts to wean Westen civilization from wasteful and stupid energy policies, VW's 'just-lie-about-it' emission control debacle, GM's save-a-buck failure to correctly design and verify a simple ignition switch (despite having teams of engineers and the best resources imaginable to do the job RIGHT) that will ultimately cost them tens-of-millions...massive stupidity is everywhere. 

MANY of the people who are supposed to know what they're doing...don't.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy