Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Matador X

I have two of this kit. It is Custom Only. Parts Fit is typical mid 70's MPC fit. (Sloppy) Detail is soft in some places, crisp in others. Great kits, IF you like the subject matter and are not scared of Dodgy Fit, and some off looking parts. Mine both have bunches of tire halves, and will be getting modern one piece AMT/MPC rubber when finished. There are 16 parts on the Chrome Tree. Plating is thin and fading on both my kits. Of the 16 parts, 4 are Wheels ,(really strange looking period 5-spoke mags) and 4 are Taillights. Grille, Two Headlights, Two Sidepipes, a Shifter, a Rear Sway Bar(?) and an alternator complete the chrome. Only options for the Body are window fillers for the Rear and Side windows. I really like this kit, and would have a bunch more if they fell into my lap.

But you do have to both know what you are getting in the box (a decent, but not great MPC kit) and really like the subject matter. If you do, this is a Great Kit. If not, it is a huge PITA.

Alan

image.thumb.jpg.b959fc0a457368c0c0710fbdDoes anyone know what these usually go for. I like oddball stuff with the crazy custom parts. I'm thinking of hunting one of these down. Thank you, Duane 

I'd love to see an out of the box review of this. I've never owned or seen kit beyond the outside of the box. I own a stock AMT '75 Matador. One of those cars a lot of people thought were ugly, that I've always liked.

I have two of this kit. It is Custom Only. Parts Fit is typical mid 70's MPC fit. (Sloppy) Detail is soft in some places, crisp in others. Great kits, IF you like the subject matter and are not scared of Dodgy Fit, and some off looking parts. Mine both have bunches of tire halves, and will be getting modern one piece AMT/MPC rubber when finished. There are 16 parts on the Chrome Tree. Plating is thin and fading on both my kits. Of the 16 parts, 4 are Wheels ,(really strange looking period 5-spoke mags) and 4 are Taillights. Grille, Two Headlights, Two Sidepipes, a Shifter, a Rear Sway Bar(?) and an alternator complete the chrome. Only options for the Body are window fillers for the Rear and Side windows. I really like this kit, and would have a bunch more if they fell into my lap.

But you do have to both know what you are getting in the box (a decent, but not great MPC kit) and really like the subject matter. If you do, this is a Great Kit. If not, it is a huge PITA.

Alan

Hi Alan. I just wanted to say that I think you did an excellent job describing this kit. I really appreciated you taking the time to review it for us. I have one of these matador's in my stash that is still factory sealed so being able to review what's inside and get opinions on it without unsealing the kit is a huge plus. I am not a collector, I am a builder so this one is on my  (someday )list To build. Well thanks everyone.      Jeff 

No Problem Jeff.

Of course I need to make two corrections, as others have helpfully pointed out.

1.It is and always has been an AMT kit.

2. The "really strange looking period 5-spoke mags" are in reality "factory AMC rallye wheels" as pointed out by Steve Milberry.

I'm glad to learn that I what those wheels really are.

It is posible we May some day see the Stock version of this Matador back!!!

The last 2 re-issues did include the Stock Hood and Grill, though only as a Nascar.

I have Both issues, "Bobby Allison's Sportsman" and the Coca-Cola 75 Nascar .

Bobby did drive the car in the Late Model/Busch series a couple years after retiring it from Cup compitition.

Thus the labeling on the 2 issues.

As far as I remember looking at them they are the Same kit

Minor differences in Decals only

I also have the Penski Set less the Van body and some other parts of it

And built an Original Separate Penski issue of the Nascar Way Back When!!!!

Also the Same kit just different decals

Edited by Edsel-Dan