Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Delivery

Good morning,

Long-time member and lurker, first time poster.

I am looking at the various releases of the AMT/Ertl 1940 Ford Delivery. Does anyone know if all of these can be build stock?  I am specifically wondering about the wheels. Are there any other significant differences between these, other than decals?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bertu

ford01.jpg

ford02.jpg

ford03.jpg

For the Most part Yes all but the "Woody: issue Can be built Stock

however, since this kit is based off the 

Coupe/Sedan, the tail lights are incorrect.

Most Deliveres had One tail light on the left side.

The Temporary Twin the the other mag showed how to correct the kit

The builder used a second fuel filler tube as the tail light

Evergreen or plastruct (or sprue) rod can be used inplace of the kit part

Fill in the car tail lights in the rear fenders

Stock? None of them can be built truly "stock". The kit was originally based off of AMT's '40 Ford 2-door sedan. The problem comes in with the rear fenders and taillights. These fenders and taillights are right for the sedan. But not the sedan delivery. The sedan delivery's rear body is wider than the regular cars in the Ford line that year. The rear fenders are narrower and do not carry the taillights in or on them. The rear sedan delivery taillights are more like the taillights you'd find on a '36 Ford. They attach to the body on stems.

There are other minor problems that won't let you build a truly stock sedan delivery. Things like the location of the gas tank on the chassis. But, other than the things in mentioned above, it can be built to pretty close to stock. To the uninitiated, the close to stock version will look stock.

Good info to have. I intend to build the three stooges version, using stock period colors, and the three stooges decals, but probably won't bother correcting the problems, as they seem pretty minor to me, all things considered.

Edited by Roadrunner

My boss has a real one, after seeing it I could never build an AMT 40 Ford Sedan delivery without doing some major bodywork, this kit is WAY wrong.

Yes, for starters, the body of AMT's 1940 Sedan Delivery is way too narrow out back, by a good 6-7 scale inches.  That body shell should taper ot wider from A-Post to B-Post, then be somewhat rounded all the way to the back end.  The Sedan Delivery used the same rear fenders as Ford's 1940 Station Wagon, which while having the same shape when viewed from the side, are mounted to the body along the very crown of the fender, not inboard of that as on a coupe or sedan.

Art

The seat is wrong for a stock sedan delivery too. The real sedan delivery came with only one seat big enough to hold the driver as standard equipment. One could order a a second identical passenger seat as an option. But no bench, as seen in the AMT kits. But again, the kit can be built in such away, that most people will not know its not stock. Despite the problems, I like the kit. In fact, it's my favorite of the '40 Ford body styles that AMT offers. It may not be right. But, it looks good to me.

Edited by unclescott58

Look at the photo of the real one. It seems if you split the roof down the middle back to front, spread it apart in the rear the 7 or 8 scale inches, then added material on both sides of the door opening, and narrowed the rear fenders, you would be pretty close to accurate?

ETA: Scott, where does the gas tank go on a delivery?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Wow that looks sharp.  I see poseable wheels up front, so I know you've done some mods on this.  Any other (engine, chassis, interior) pictures you'd care to share?  

maybe 'cause it's a pic of a real one?  :o

Edited by mike 51

Look at the photo of the real one. It seems if you split the roof down the middle back to front, spread it apart in the rear the 7 or 8 scale inches, then added material on both sides of the door opening, and narrowed the rear fenders, you would be pretty close to accurate?

ETA: Scott, where does the gas tank go on a delivery?

The gas tank was under the cargo floor right behind the driver's seat. That's why the gas filler was right behind the driver's door. The spare tire basically fit where the gas tank is on the model.