Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Finishes??

I just got an order, and it took a bit longer than expected, but not too bad.  I think he would probably be fine if he had a brief mention on his site that he was a one man band, and set a waiting time of 3-4 weeks or so.  He has shipped everything I have ordered, and it has all been great stuff.  I will order again.

Always have good results with Scalefinishes paints and service. There is a wait involved, I just plan on it and order ahead of when I am planning to use it.

I wish I had gone to the show in Arizona, I would be well stocked right now! Next year for sure!

Indeed.  Jameston was here on 11/7 and sold paint like it was hotcakes!  

Gabe's correct:  He now has his own computerized mixer set up and should be going great guns . . . other than that little internet setback.

Patience.  He IS a one-man band, but he plays beautiful music!   And, he has never let anyone down. 

It would go a long ways if a vendor would just communicate a long wait time such as Modelhaus has.  I don't think any of us minds the wait, these folks are independent and not Amazon and in many cases have actual day jobs. But just posting an estimated wait time would be helpful.

Edited by Crusader101

Nope, I don't mind waiting, as long as there is some communication. This is my first transaction with Jameston, so I really had no idea on the wait time. I do agree though, it would be nice if he would put an estimated delivery date. Thanks for all the info!

He is usually quite fast in delivery and usually responds no later than a couple of days.  This is unusual for him.

Nope, I don't mind waiting, as long as there is some communication. This is my first transaction with Jameston, so I really had no idea on the wait time. I do agree though, it would be nice if he would put an estimated delivery date. Thanks for all the info!

I think he implies a significant wait because of the "free" shipping he uses. Also, I have noticed that receiving a shipping notification only means he has made a label for the package. I've seen it be several days before he actually takes the orders to the post office! Also, I offered him some photos for his "gallery", and that was about 6 weeks ago, and the page is still broken. I have had 2 small orders fulfilled during this time, and while it was a couple of weeks to receive them, they came through just fine. At one time, he was in the process of catching up to the sale he had running, and that was causing a delay.

Has anyone ever had trouble with the paint peeling? I have a Rangoon Red that lifted off the surface with the BMF I was removing - right down to the primer (that was a disaster)...

Edited by fseva

My last order from him took some time to come in, but it did and everything was great. I know he has been having internet issues which is hindering his communication as well as running his business I am sure.  I have only had one instance of the paint peeling up including the primer, I think that had more to do with my surface prep than the quality of his paint.

A problem with paint from a primer coat is a preparation problem, not a problem with the paint itself, I see a lot of people who use the idea that prepping primer for a finish coat with super fine polishing cloth is the route to a perfect finish, I've seen some excellent finishes, but you are asking for a problem, it's like putting paint on polished plastic, it's often problematic down the line, using a slightly slower thinner and lower air pressure is the way to smooth lacquer finishes. As a retired painter I will tell you a very expert show car painter taught me to get a great finish to thin the paint a little thinner than usual and apply many coats using between 18-20 psi at the gun, just enough to get the paint out without spitting,and sand the orange peel off every other coat using no finer than 1000 grit wet paper. And this has resulted in some excellent show winning paint jobs. So I don't think it's to far off.

Good to hear Les. I too placed small order for simple items on the 4th of November and was informed, after complaining, that they shipped on the 21st. Today makes it 30 days and still no package from Scalefinishes. Having made quite a few orders in the past and never taking more than 20 days to receive, I emailed my dissatisfaction today, I am disappointed, to put it mildly.

I too have the same problem.  Jameston said he is resending the shipment.  He said, in his email, that several orders did not arrive.  He did indicate he is working two jobs and has minimum time to fulfill orders. 

Sad to say, that I started a PayPal dispute but haven't yet pulled the trigger.  This is a real bummer as there has never been anything like this with Scale Finishes before.

I agree Gerry. Jameston is a great young man, I have dealt with him in person on occasion and I can fully vouch for his integrity. I used to get my orders within 5 or 6 days, consistently and I know he has graduated and working full time now at a regular job and things are a little slower. Some wait time is acceptable but at some point it crosses a line. In my case, I had 3 cars going and all three needed paints. I was fully planning to being done with at least two of these cars before I left for my annual Christmas road trip, now it looks like I will be lucky to even have the paint in hand before I leave.

So, for me, it was extra frustrating to not receive my order in a reasonable time. Had it not been at this particular time, I would not be upset  so my circumstances are a large part of my frustrations.

Again, I have total faith in Jameston and his product is second to  none. I wish him all the best in getting caught up, dealing with the work load and I hope he gets to a place in his life where he can run smoothly without working himself too hard. A truly nice young man.  

Edited by Bill J

Amen to that, Bill.  

What color(s) do you need for your immediate projects?  I have a *considerable* supply of ScaleFinishes paints on hand; if you're looking for something I have, I can get you through the crunch.

Edited by Danno

Thank you Danno for the kind offer. As it turns out the Scalefinishes paints arrived this afternoon. I am done with models until I return from my annual Christmas road trip. Would have gotten a few done if the paint had gotten here sooner but I did work on other things and just pushed some to the back of the calendar.

The one time my order took longer than normal, he more than made up for it. I usually receive the paint within 2 weeks, but can easily see it taking a little longer if he gets backed up, or is changing systems, etc. Sometimes he takes a little while to get back via email, but communication is always good. He's one of those guys that I would always feel confident in ordering from, and I would rather wait than take a chance on someone else. I started using him when Zero became unavailable in the US. Now that I can get it again, I honestly have no desire to go back, I am very happy with Scale Finishes