Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Revell 1974 Torino Thread!

chunkypeanutbutter

Post any and all of your completed Revell S&H Torinos! Here's my first one.

I built it in about five hours. Paint is generic grey primer and black over the kit plastic - two coats of grey, one of black, and sanded to show wear. The red overspray on the hood is the same as the interior color - Duplicolor GM Somethingorother Red. The steering wheel is green to represent a replacement

from a different car. This is completely box stock - no foreign decals or accessories form any other kit. No scratchbuilding, either.

image.thumb.jpg.96935df1181e069e2796b24dimage.thumb.jpg.54aa2b5078612454c2fbe2f4image.thumb.jpg.d347ac82fe78ae41e1d856d0

Edited by chunkypeanutbutter

Yeah, I was saying that to my father. I wanted the thing done, though - if I had taken the time to dull it up, it most likely would've fallen into the "model void" and been sitting forever.

A couple of light passes with 5-aught steel wool and a little rust weathering powder can fix that very quickly.

Charlie Larkin

The chrome is too shiny. Other than that, I like it.

Maybe this was only a North Carolina thing, but back in the day many folks bought old beaters that the paint looked like it had been setting behind someone's barn for several years, and it would get a new set of chrome wheels, tires shined, and everything that could still be polished would be polished on it. Parts were replaced such as the hood and steering wheel as they were found (cheap). I had a 66 Plymouth Satellite that was primer grey, the right rear quarter looked like a train hit it, the right door was off of a 67 Belvedere, plenty of surface rust showing, but it had a new set of Ketstone mags, new Goodyear Eagle Sts, and all of the chrome was polished as close to like new as I could get it. That is what this build reminds me of. Nice work!

• 1 month later...

Sanded the chrome finned valve covers smooth and painted, used a nascar  intake and not sure on the air breather, possibly from an AMT 67 mustang

I like it.  I tried to find an intake for mine in my parts boxes, but ended up just using the intake and carbs from the kit topped with the air cleaner provided too. 

• 1 year later...

Wow all the Torinos posted here look great.I had a brown 74 Grand Torino,but it was a four door.It was my first car.My father was the original owner.I remember the car being in show room condition for the first few years.After several years,I finally got the car,and I always wished it was a two door...The Torino was just a good old reliable car.Until the tranny blew at around 160,000 miles,so I got rid of the car.