Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW Build of Revell's '29A Roadster - a more appealing Channeled version...

tim boyd

My most recent project was a build of the Revell '29A Channeled Roadster version, with some changes to deliver what I view to be a more visually appealing execution of the early-mid 1960's channeled hot rod roadster genre.  

I also swapped in a different engine - the outstanding Ford FE replica in various AMT-Ertl kits tooled in the late 1990's.  This one came from the '60 Ford Starliner kit (actually, the Round 2 reissue from a few  years ago that contained two complete FE engines in the same boc - a restored stock version, and a street machine-esque version with a choice of tri-power or dual quad carbs, along with other period aftermarket goodies).  But the basic kit engine tooling is also used in the AMT-Ertl '58 Edsel, '66 Fairlane GT/GTA, '66 Fairlane 427, and '67 Cyclone kits.  

The image below shows the box stock build of the engine (left), alongside the second build that I used for this '29A Roadster project (right).

Beyond the obvious differences in paint finishes, the engine on the right has a:

* Plated oil plan from the AMT '34 Ford Pickup (the AMT '32 Vicky just reissued also has a plated FE oil pan)

* Two "Interceptor" valve covers, which were found in the original issue of the AMT Trophy Series Ryason Craft kit, and the subsequent reissue of the Hull Raiser had one of these still left on the chrome tree - they were not used for the SOHC engine in that kit, meaning if you have two of the Hull Raiser kits, you can steal a set of these valve covers and still have a complete Hull Raiser kit to build).   The Ford FE390 Marine engine was "THE" hot ticket in early 1960's drag and ski boat applications - essentially unbeatable if you read the old hot rod mags.   Since my hot rod build is intended to be "dated" between 1963 and 1966, I reasoned that an FE 390 was more likely to have been junkyard-available/affordable then the later/newer 406/427 FE engines, and the marine "Interceptor" valve covers would have been a super-cool addition for hot rodding purposes.  

* The single tri-carb air cleaner from the AMT Trophy Series '49 Ford kit (it was used for the Cadillac V8 option in that kit).  

* Pre-wired distributor from Morgan Automotive Details.  

* Note the separately-molded transmission linkage and the complete fuel-pump to tri-carb fuel line plumbing, which are both indicative of the spectacular work being done at AMT-Ertl in the late 1990's by the John Mueller/Dave Carlock product development team...

DSC 0072

As of today (Thanksgiving 2015), the project is completed.  A full explanation and three photos, plus a link to my photo album with more pics, is posted in the "Under Glass" section at this link:  But here's a glimpse of the completed project, compared to my box stock build of the Channeled version back when the kit first came out in August/September.

DSC 0227

Thanks for looking!  TIm 

Edited by tim boyd

Have you considered using the suspension, frame, sbc from the Roth T-bucket to back-date the chassis to a mid-50's channeled model A?

Walter...yes I dug out that kit and looked at it.  I didn't like it that much for this application due to (hope my memory is correct here) the very short split wishbones, and again, if memory serves correctly, the layout that placed the transverse leaf spring atop the axle (Model T style) as apposed to behind the axle, which lowers the ride height accordingly.   .  

What I am going to do soon on one of my kitbashed of this kit is to use the Replicas and Miniatures Model A Highboy/Halibrand Quick Change kit which has its design roots in the early 1960's Revell Roth Kits and Revell Parts Pack componentry  .

Also, in my earlier kitbash of this kit into a chopped '30A Five Window Coupe, posted here a couple of months ago, I used the entire transverse leaf spring/Halibrand Quick Change layout from the old Monogram "Little T" (reissued many times including just this last year).   This is not the complete "transverse leaf spring behind the axle" layout that I prefer, but it was a quick-to-build adaptation to get a QuickChange/Transverse leaf spring execution using parts in most builder's stashes.    

DSC 0325

Thanks for the idea/suggestion, though.  Cheers...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd