Model Cars Magazine Forum

Possible 1968-70 AMX from Moebius?

MrObsessive

It's kinda surprising that the tooling ended up in China, especially since Jo-Han used a somewhat unique mold base, so unless the Chinese made something of their own to make it all work, that too made the voyage to the orient.

That's what I was thinking, too.
AFAIK Jo-Han tools were made from some composite that then was beryllium plated. Those composite pieces then had to be arranged in some sort of 'hob' to actually make the tool.
Allegedly only a very limited number of those 'hobs' existed and they required a somewhat special moulding machine.

I'm sure Dave can explain this a lot better, since he knows what the '59 Dodge tool actually looks like.

That's what I was thinking, too.AFAIK Jo-Han tools were made from some composite that then was beryllium plated. Those composite pieces then had to be arranged in some sort of 'hob' to actually make the tool.
Allegedly only a very limited number of those 'hobs' existed and they required a somewhat special moulding machine.

I'm sure Dave can explain this a lot better, since he knows what the '59 Dodge tool actually looks like.

It is not the Base but the Injection Machine that requires everything to line up correctly. If the holes do not line up correctly it can not be used in said machine. Just as heads from one engine can not be just bolted on another engine.  If these molds were designed to be ran into a Harry 1902 model they may or may not work on a Casey 1995 model . As with everything else the newer machines are designed to be faster and lighter. 

I'd rather see a '68 or '69 Javelin, followed by a '70, than any AMX. The 1/20 MPC AMX is easily found, and the JO-HAN '69 is also fairly easy to findarrow-10x10.png, and not all the expensive, either. Moebius could offerarrow-10x10.png '68, '69, and '70 Javelins as separate kits, much like they've done with the recent Ford trucksarrow-10x10.png or previous Hudson Hornets. They could always release a '68-'70 AMX later based on the design for the Javelin, too.

If Moebius did release an AMX first and it's done accurately, the engine and suspension bit alone would provide plenty of donor fodder for existing AMC kits. There truly is no good late AMC V8 engine availablearrow-10x10.png, and no kit has ever included a detailedarrow-10x10.png trunnion style front suspension, either.

Yeah Casey, I'd rather see those years Javelins too over the AMX's much as I like them. 1968-69 I'd prefer over the '70 because as you mentioned, they would have the never done correctly trunion front suspension setup as well as the engine. However, '60's Mustangs front suspension IMO would make a reasonable facsimile if one wanted to build a detailedarrow-10x10.png Javelin/AMX for now.

I may be a little late to this party but, my vote is for a Javelin hands down over ANY AMX.

Now don`t get me wrong I have nothing against AMX`s. My brothers-in-law (who was given the nickname “Captain America”) campaigned a`69 AMX at the local dragway and owned a `70 AMX that he street raced back in the day. Both were wickedly quick and he kicked a lot of butts and won  ALOTTA $$$ from fellow racers with both cars. He was the one that turned me on to Javelins. Because of him I owned a Matador Red base model `68 SST 343 Javelin  and a Frost White `70 Javelin SST with the Rally Pack which included the Craig Breedlove Roof Spoiler, trunk spoiler, chin spoiler and 390 c.i.d. with Str-11 cross ram intake. That car was a street beast and don`t know how to pass up a gas station without dropping in. LOL It was very similar to this one I pictured:

1970AMCJavelin_02_700.thumb.jpg.31b44fa61970AMCJavelin_04_700.thumb.jpg.a3ae3999

The AMX has seen the light of day several times as a re-pop in the pass years and or fairly reasonable in cost on the on-line auctionarrow-10x10.png block last time I looked. However, Javelins are a different story. So beyond my apparent biases for the Javelin I want to point out that this particular 1:25 subject has not been replicated since the original Jo-Han annual kits were released over thirty plus years ago. A 1968-1969-1970 Javelin or long over due to reissued. Even if it does not meet the expectations of some rivet counters (no slam intended) it would be better than what is availablearrow-10x10.png right now and that`s a tiny hand full of extremely high $$$ originals kits. Truthfully, I cannot wait to see a newly tooled Javelin, especially  considering the high level of detailarrow-10x10.png and excellent engraving they do today with separate chassis, interior, suspension, engine etc. It would be an invigorating and a refreshingarrow-10x10.png change to see subject beyond Ford, Mopar and G.M. productsarrow-10x10.png. And, lets me not forget to mention a newly tooled Javelin would easily have potential for multiple variant spin-offs for other kits i.e. stockarrow-10x10.png, drag strip, street racer, SCCA Trans-Am racing (i.e. Mark Donohue/ Peter Revson/Rodge Penske) even NASCAR with the addition of a few accessories and decals.

By the way I would highly recommend Moebius consider including the "Breedlove Roof Spoiler" for it can be used on the 1968-1969-1970 Javelin as well as the 1968-1969-1970 AMX.

amc_javelin-sst-390_mark-donahue_spoiler

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I wonder if that "Breedlove Roof Spoiler" made for any aero or traction-advantage?  I seem to remember that Craig Breedlove was an Engineer of some sort, (Mechanical?), but that spoiler design just looks like a bolt-on to enhance(?) the overall look of the car; not really providing any kind of performance enhancements.  And I agree, Greg, a Javelin kit is long overdue!

I wonder if that "Breedlove Roof Spoiler" made for any aero or traction-advantage?  I seem to remember that Craig Breedlove was an Engineer of some sort, (Mechanical?), but that spoiler design just looks like a bolt-on to enhance(?) the overall look of the car; not really providing any kind of performance enhancements.  And I agree, Greg, a Javelin kit is long overdue!

Craig Breedlove has broken the land speed record an amazing five times and was the first to officially break 400 mph, and the first to break 500 mph and 600 mph. Breedlove bought his first car when he was only 13, and at 16 drove it in speed trials at the dry lakes of the Mojave Desert. After high school, Breedlove worked at Douglas Aircraft in Santa Monica as a technician in structural engineering, where he learned many of his design and engineering skills. Because of his land speed record and his clean cut all American boy persona,he became the television pitchman for Goodyear Tire commercials. His 600 mph speed record stood for five consecutive years- 1965-1970.  See more at: http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/inductee/craig-breedlove/786/#sthash.9W4VVOjs.dpuf

By the way the roof spoiler was designed with down force aerodynamics in mind and it worked .