Model Cars Magazine Forum

Possible 1968-70 AMX from Moebius?

MrObsessive

I know some lips have to remain sealed, but I've heard from two different people at different times, that Moebius has an "AMX" in the plans. They didn't know which years, but I'm assuming with the popularity of the two seaters from 1968-'70, it would be one of those years. Of course we all know what "assume" means!

I'm hoping it's any or all of those years, and my curiosity is up as that's my next super detailed model I'd like to do after the '59 Chevy is done. I want to hold back to see if and when they're going to kit this.......It might be another year before I get around to starting mine.

Anyone know or heard anything about this? :unsure:

It would be interesting to compare the two if this ever comes to be. I'd try not to come down on it too hard, but I'm an AMX fan through and through as I once owned a '69 390 4spd for a number of years. The car was a real blast to own and drive and I wish I could have kept it.

BTW, the model I want to do is a beat up '69 Johan kit I built back in '85. I'd like to restore it giving it the full boat treatment and paint it "Big Bad Green" with painted bumpers and all.

I'd rather see a '68 or '69 Javelin, followed by a '70, than any AMX. The 1/20 MPC AMX is easily found, and the JO-HAN '69 is also fairly easy to find, and not all the expensive, either. Moebius could offer '68, '69, and '70 Javelins as separate kits, much like they've done with the recent Ford trucks or previous Hudson Hornets. They could always release a '68-'70 AMX later based on the design for the Javelin, too.

If Moebius did release an AMX first and it's done accurately, the engine and suspension bit alone would provide plenty of donor fodder for existing AMC kits. There truly is no good late AMC V8 engine available, and no kit has ever included a detailed trunnion style front suspension, either.

Yeah Casey, I'd rather see those years Javelins too over the AMX's much as I like them. 1968-69 I'd prefer over the '70 because as you mentioned, they would have the never done correctly trunion front suspension setup as well as the engine. However, '60's Mustangs front suspension IMO would make a reasonable facsimile if one wanted to build a detailed Javelin/AMX for now.

Maybe they found the long lost tooling from Jo-han's '69, last seen in a Testors wrapper, then went MIA/

That never even crossed my mind as I was thinking (hoping!) about an all-new kit, but considering Moebius purchased the '59 Rambler tooling, it makes sense. Kind of disappointing in a selfish way (for me), though. 

This would be great  actually "awesome "is more like it. Moebius has been Filling the gaps in and I personally can't thank them enough. Have to just wait and see. Hopefully it will come together and make a lot of people very, very happy. Also, any of the year's stated in the above posts will work for me.    Thank you.   Jeff 

That's an very interesting rumor...

I need to check my project list...

Just checked the list; Uhh, sorry, no AMX on the list right now...

Far as I know, the Johan AMX tooling along with two or three others were sent to China last time they were produced, and those tools have vanished.

Dave

Nippin' it in da bud

;^)

Oh well, might have been nice, but I'm not heartbroken. ;)

I've no lack of AMX's..........I have the one I built in '85 that'll be one of my next big projects, an untouched '69 USA JoHan kit, a built '70 in need of a resto, and a pristine MPC 1/20 scale '69 kit.

So I have quite a few AMX's to keep me going for a while, not to mention a resin '69 Javelin.

I was already hoping there would be a full detail kit on one of these. I've had one of those Jo-Hans in progress for a long time and I've done lots of modifications to the engine, interior and chassis. Inner fenders in front are a bit of a trouble for me as they're very different from anything I've seen in 1/25 scale.

Oh well, maybe I just need to continue banging my head to the wall with that one.:lol:

Far as I know, the Johan AMX tooling along with two or three others were sent to China last time they were produced, and those tools have vanished.

Dave

I can send you an eraser and pencil to change the list. LOL 

Keep up the great job you are doing. I like the direction you guys are headed in. 

Javelin or AMX would be ok, but they have been done and still available for a price.

I'd much rather see a late 40's or early 50's Packard. I love the convertible in Back to the Future, a tan 49 or 50 model. I remember them as a kid and they were a great car.

Dave

They're probably sharing warehouse space with all the Franklin Mint diecast molds.  :-(