Model Cars Magazine Forum

masking w/SillyPutty, similar new product.

I read about just recently, either on the forum, or in a magazine, about a new similar substance for masking.  It seems like it was "KA" or "NA".  It was highly praised.  Anybody heard of this stuff?  Thanks

PK-Pro Masking Putty?  http://www.pk-pro.de/index.php?a=5068

Basically it's just Silly Putty marketed to modelers and costing a whole lot more.  Silly Putty is great for airbrush masking.

How about "liquid glass putty"...

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Aarons-Putty-World-Liquid/dp/B004L13EXE/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1448732799&sr=1-1&keywords=liquid+glass+putty

It comes in colors, as well as phosphorescent and metallic. I'm thinking of using the clear because it would show what you're trying to hide while you're applying it. Anyone tried it yet, who could comment on it?

At one time someone was suggesting "Play-Doh" for masking. I never tried it myself so I can say one way or another if it would work.

I'd avoid Play-doh, except maybe for the white. Any of the colored ones would be liable to stain the masked area, based on an experiment in using it for one-shot molds.

Edited by talon63

I've used Silly Putty for masking odd shaped objects for a long time, saw it in SAE tips section and another time in an article.  First I was concerned about using Silly Putty because of the silicone in the putty, I was afraid of fish eye, but it's never happened.  Now that I've switched to mainly acrylic paints that's not an issue either.  I get my Silly Putty at the Dollar store for a buck or less, last I looked it sells for $2 - 3 everywhere else.