Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your First Ride

I saw this topic on a 1:1 automotive forum, and thought it would be interesting to start this subject here. So----what was your first ride? What kind of car were you brought home from the hospital? Or, if your family didn't have a car, which car do you remember taking your first ride in?

In my case it was this one owned by my Dad............

1955 Plymouth Savoy

1955 Plymouth Savoy 2

A 1955 Plymouth Savoy which looked just like this, but Dad's was a light gray. I was brought home from the hospital in this. The '55 would make way a few years later ('64-'65) for a '57 Plymouth Belvedere. A car I can remember VERY well as it was certainly distinctive looking with those fins!

OK.....so what was your first ride? ;)

I don't remember. I was a little young at the time. And I can't ask anymore because Dad's been gone a long time now. As I recall he said it was a late 50's Chryco product. The vehicles I do remember was his next car a 61 Pontiac Parisienne and a 49 GMC Pickup that they used at our hardware store. That was forever know as Daddy's Guck. (What can I say? I was 2 years old. I couldn't say truck at the time.....)

Edited by peter31a

I can only hazard a guess as I was very unaware of things at that time.It would have been a Buick for sure but I'm guessing it was a '53.My Dad had a two tone '51 Roadmaster (to which he added the '52 fins) when he and Mom married.

Mom said that Dad liked to change cars like he changed his socks and I remember Mom saying that Dad had ordered a new '53 and then sold it off after a while.

My first car was a '76 Celica GT liftback. Sorta looked like a small Mustang, 20R four cylinder and a 5spd trans. Of course, being a teenager in the late 80s with no internet, I had no idea how much nicer/cleaner they look with the JDM bumpers and valances instead of the huge U.S. spec safety bumpers. Still a fun car though

Not my car, but very close to what it looked like:

76celica.jpg

Edited by MonoPed

1961 Chevrolet Pickup/ Long Bed, Stepside. Same Truck I learned to drive in.

The 1963 VW Beetle was in the shop when I was born.

My Dad still owns the truck, and he is still pissed at the Used Car Dealer in San Deigo who sold it to him in 1962, when he was discharged from the USN. The dealer cheated him by rolling back the Odometer, and hiding the bondo in the rear fenders. Dad found the Odo tampering within 6 months of buying the truck, and the Bondo, about 12 years later. I was about 11 years old then, and I still remember his freshly fueled anger at the dealer. 54 years ago, and if you ask today, my Dad will still go on about it, like it happened last week. It's funny. He is normally a very mellow, gentle, man. But he has this blindspot about this deal, and to this day, can't get over being ripped off. I hope to get the truck one day, and restore it. It still has it's circa 1962, Earl Schieb Forrest Green paint job. After finding the Bondo in the 1970's my Dad has refused to have it re-painted. It has become a point of honor with him in some way.........

My parents never let me forget that car. It was a prostreet vega. My dad made it carseat friendly by mounting eyebolts in the right places. My car seat fit perfectly between the wheel tubs. The first 6 months of my life, I was driven around, almost every night to get me to go sleep, IN A PROSTREET Vega! My mom has the Polaroids of that car, one of these I'll scan them. The car was similar to this pic, ex ept it had a single Dominator on top of a high single plane intake. And the color was a basic red.

3171468796_931726f49c_zpsqlhsuiyf.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

I was brought home from the hospital in this:

15456645199_f0745ee735_b.jpg

'57 Buick Century, Dawn Gray over Carlsbad Black with factory A/C and blackwalls. My dad ordered it at Bonnie Buick in Evanston in November of '56; cost around four grand. They picked the colors from the dealer display, but when the car arrived Dawn Gray turned out to look sort of purple (he had it repainted all black after this was taken). Both my parents made it a "true Century" by running it 100 miles an hour on an empty highway in southern IL; Dad pegged it at 120.

The Dynaflow lost reverse in 1962 so he traded it in on a used '59 DeSoto.

This photo was taken when the car was two years old. Oddly, it's missing the grille bar - my dad swears it came from the factory that way.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

http://grumlt.citrina.lt/autos/2CV/1964_Citroen_2cv_AZAM.jpg

My parents bought it in 1962, so it was two years old when I was born.

Much later they told me the story of buying it, which I found both - funny and typical for my parents (who even by the demanding standards set by British intellectuals
can be classed as being outstandingly eccentric).

My mother saw the car in the shop window of a Citroen dealer in Munich, when she passed it on her way to work. She told my father about that "nice car" she's seen there.
So my father went to have a look, came back home, and said yes, it's indeed a nice car. So after they agreed to buy "it", they went to the dealership together for the first time,
only to find out, that they were talking about entirely different cars. Whereas my mother liked the 2CV, it was the Ami 6 that caught my father's admiration.
They then agreed on the 2CV, because my mother found the Ami looking "like a French living room".

We had it until 1966, when my father bought a Renault 16. It was dark red and the first car we had I can remember. I have no recollection of the 2CV, despite we went
holidaying in Yugoslavia with it, a not inconsiderable trip to do with little children in the early 60s.

Edited by Junkman

For some odd reason, it never occurred to me to build a model of it until just this moment...same car, same year, same color (but with a black top, and not new at the time). 

IMG_1690.JPG

First one i actually remember was a '51 Studebaker Starlight Coupe, my father's first new car. Just like this...   1951StudebakerCommanderStarlightCoupe-b.

...which he traded for a '55 Olds 88 convertible...      4266744ef5b0a125b874a1a8d623c128.jpg

...after having returned a "Loewy coupe" for being "too low"...

1955-Studebaker-Speedster-2.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy