Model Cars Magazine Forum

AWB Mustang

68shortfleet

So, while waiting for a new floor/tub from Revell for my 41 Willy's I thought I would start another build. I picked out this AWB Mustang that I traded for a few months ago.

What an absolute disaster of a kit. This thing just falls short in every detail. I haven't researched it yet, but I suspect this to be a very old tooling. Poor enough kit that I almost put it back in the box, but it has nothing of use to even save for kit bashing. Not to mention the variations away from the car that it is supposed to be depicting. Depicted car is showing original front suspension, while the kit contains a Gasser style solid front axle.

Decided to build it for what it is though and not lose sleep over the details. Building it box stock, decals and all. Just don't see a reason to get carried away on such a poor example of a kit.

20151123_213452_zps30sacanb.jpg

The body now has tan paint on it that matches the hood seen in the pic, but it is completely taped up to paint the white inset on the sides. Will see in a couple days what that looks like.

Edited by 68shortfleet

Jason, I picked up the latest release of this kit at the grand opening of the new Hobby Lobby nearby. I brought it home and test fitted the body to the tub and 

chassis, There is something strange going on with the fitment that pushes the frame to the right side front looking from above. I didn't  take the time to make

any measurements to see what was out of square, just threw it back in the box. The lack of any real locators doesn't help. Maybe some day I will just have

to take a deep breath, hold my nose and just sit down and build it. (I do like the box art and this era of drag cars), but my kit is kind of a stinker.

I look forward to see what you can do with it, cause I really would need some inspiration to put mine back on the bench.

I have several of these kits, and yes the chassis is useless for building an accurate replica of the Bronco. The body is also not accurate to build ANY version of the AFX Mustangs.

The problem with the body, besides the huge hole in the hood scoop, is the front wheel openings. The real Bronco did NOT have a "stretched" nose,  the length was not changed. The front wheels/wheel openings were relocated 4 inches forward. The kit does have correct 10-inch relocation of the rear wheels. Here's my attempt at correcting the flawed body.....

http://public.fotki.com/fordflashback/scale-models/1965-mustang-afx-bronco/

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

Ya, the kit definitely has it's fair share of flaws.

I thought it would be a fun/quick build. So, I am going to build it for what it is.

Was just a bit disappointing to find such a poorly detailed kit when I opened it. Regardless, it will still be fun to build, and that's what this hobby is all about to me.:D

Body is mostly painted now, hope to have updated pics tomorrow. 

Edited by 68shortfleet

Ya, the kit definitely has it's fair share of flaws.

I thought it would be a fun/quick build. So, I am going to build it for what it is.

Was just a bit disappointing to find such a poorly detailed kit when I opened it. Regardless, it will still be fun to build, and that's what this hobby is all about to me.:D

Body is mostly painted now, hope to have updated pics tomorrow. 

And you are so right. It's about enjoying the hobby. Don't get me wrong I do take this Hobby very serious but I always have a smile on my face when I build. You hit the nail on the head because that's what it is all about  ( enjoyment ).  I already posted here about this kit but I will say this , You can build it straight out of the box or slice and dice it either way this kit is and will always be an excellent kit. I love the subject matter what can I say. Oh I know, just enjoy it and have fun. Thank you.       Jeff 

It's true that these kits require some extra work to get them look right, but they are fun to build and look good when completed (Even if built box stock). I've been wanting to get me one of these AWB kits and build it "full detail"...

Your Mustang looks very good so far. Nice paint job on the body and good work with the decals. It's interesting to see how this turns out so keep the pics coming.

• 4 weeks later...