Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 454-Any One Got Info on It

69NovaYenko

It was created in late '90s-early '00s, so it's rather fresh in terms of design and age. It's a very nice kit, with good proportions, nice detailing all over, and contains stock big block Chevy exhaust manifolds, too. IMHO, it's the nicest stock 454 BBC done to date, and would be my #1 choice for a BBC donor in 1/25 scale. Here's a look at a partial kit and a close-up of those x-mans:

This is a very nice kit that almost falls together. At one time it was issued in a low rider version with air bags and a lot of other details. The factory air conditioning units hoses even line up as they should.  With very little extra detailing you can build an outstanding looking model.

I built one of them in the 90s and was not too happy with the body proportions.

I'm quite happy to have the 1970 Motor City Stockers kit, which IMO has a better rendered body.

Can you give us some examples of what you're talking about?

I have a couple in kit boxes still sealed, and one I picked up in sealed bags in zip locks that had the low rider tires and wheels removed, paid $2:00 each for the bagged ones, at least one gets a small block from the '70 1/2  Camaro kit.

Edited by horsepower

Casey's pics show one of the other notable things about this kit - the engine is backed up by a TH400 transmission.  Those are pretty few and far between in the 1/25th world.  It would be nicer if the pan wasn't split down the center with the rest of the case , but nothing a little pre-assembly and filling/sanding can't take care of.

If you're looking to swap a BBC/auto drivetrain into a Chevelle, Camaro, Nova, etc., this might be your best candidate.

The Horror! hahahhaha

Yes , it's a fairly easy addition / fix . Just frustrating is all ! For what-ever reason(s) , the 340 in the Duster is missing a breather . 15+ years ago , I wouldn't have cared , but now with arthritis and not-as-good-as-it-was vision , these details are more challenging than they used to be :blink:

a TH400 transmission.  Those are pretty few and far between in the 1/25th world.  It would be nicer if the pan wasn't split down the center with the rest of the case

Molding the trans pan as a separate part would have been even better.

Yes , it's a fairly easy addition / fix . Just frustrating is all ! For what-ever reason(s) , the 340 in the Duster is missing a breather . 15+ years ago , I wouldn't have cared , but now with arthritis and not-as-good-as-it-was vision , these details are more challenging than they used to be :blink:

I drill a hole and use a piece of wire insulation for grommets. Glue from inside, leave it long outside and and trim.

Edited by Sledsel

• 2 weeks later...

I received my kit today. I missed it the first time out so was looking forward to it. The level of detail is great. But extremely disappointed  with the chrome, the chrome is all wrinkled, pitted and dull in many areas. Totally  unusable.  Anyone else have this problem? How is Round 2 with parts replacement?

Edited by Mike Chernecki

I just got this kit at the MAMA meeting this past Saturday, and I have to say I'm greatly impressed! I don't know why I passed on it before, but as Mike mentioned, the level of detail is OUTSTANDING! This one is definitely on my build list in the future------I'm just not crazy about the rally wheels. I'd rather build mine with the regular Monte hubcaps, fender skirts, and whitewalls. It would certainly add to that "sleeper" look with that 454.

Time to spend some money on The Modelhaus! :D

I'll have to check my kit as far as the chrome's concerned, I didn't notice anything untoward about it.