Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parents first car? Any stories remembered?

OMG some of the stories and better yet some of the old cars!!!!!

I THINK, my Dad drove as a new Parent, was a '71 Dodge Charger "Plain-Jane" nothing really, just a plain ole Charger, no luxury, or anything, BUT it did have a a 440 4 barrel in it.... My Mom however whole OTHER story, lost her going on 6 years ago, lived her whole life NEVER having a Drivers license! -So never had a car. BUT Dad, My God, I lost him going on 2 years ago, passed with 6 vehicles in his name, a '39 Chevy business Coupe, a '84 Dodge Power Ram, a 82 Dodge Omni (Have no idea WHY), a '97 Dodge Caravan, a '98 Dodge Caravan, '08 Chevy Impala. (was his MPG car for long distance travel) his "regular everyday driver" was the '84 Power Ram!

OHHH the stories I could tell, Just ain't got that much time to type it all out.....

My dad's first car was a 1934 Chevy coupe he got from his brother around 1945. He parked it behind the equipment shed at my grandfathers' around 1950, where it sat for 50 years until I picked it up in 2001. It now sits in my garage.

My mom's first car was a '61 Vauxhall much like this one.

My Dad's car was a Studebaker from 1949. He dated mom with this and traveled a couple hundred miles to meat the parents. Mom was living in Milwaukee and she was from the central part of Wisconsin. One time up on the farm, dad was  "was pitching woo" and nine months later....

After that Dad had a 49 Ford and then the car I remember more clearly was a 54 Ford with the flat head six. I think I was in second grade when he bought a 58 Rambler four door sedan with the V8. Nice car.

After third grade I was being raised by my Grandparents while my sisters stayed with mom. Grandfather has a series of Buicks from a 1956 Special to a 1960 LeSabre, then a 1969 Skylark Custom he had beefed up to GS specs by the dealer who was a friend of his...after that a bunch more Buicks, a 75 Special, 76 Lesabre, 77 Lesabre, 84 LeSabre to the last one which was a grand National.

Dad's first car was a 39 Buick sedan in black, but that was before my time.  I spent a good part of my youth in the back seat of a 48 Buick convertible, getting my feet cooked during the winter by the gas-fired Southwind heater under the front seat.  Traded that in for a 58 Biscayne 4 door with a six and Powerglide.  First car I ever drove.  Dad's final car was a 67 Catalina sedan, which still resides in my garage.

I have no idea what Dad's first car was as it would have been well before I was born and he never mentioned what he drove first.When he met Mom he had a gray '47 Buick Super convertible(I wish I had that car) and when they married he had a two toned green '51 Buick Roadmaster .

Mom said she learned to drive in high school during WW 2 but her family was poor and hadn't had a car since the mid 1920s so she never drove(Dad did all the driving during the marriage).When my parents divorced in 1964 Mom turned down a '53 Buick Special that wound up with my grandfather.Eventually Mom did buy a used '78 Malibu but only drove it a handful of times ( I think she  was truly frightened of driving).Mom liked using the relative's good graces (and the public bus system) to get us anywhere. 

i remember my dad's car more than my mom's because he used to tell stories about it. it was a 49 ford flat head v8. he said he would pull out the manual choke so it would sound like it had a "cam" in it lol! the car i remember fondly, was a 69 Mustang FB he was loaned from the Ford dealer while his 69 F150 was being serviced