Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe Dual Resteration Build

Jhedir6

Years ago I purchased a Gunze Sangyo Cobra Daytona Coupe and started it. Recently I picked up a HRM Cobra Daytona Coupe off of ebay. I started the GS one years ago, but it needs to be redone. The HRM was started by someone else in the past and needs to be redone. I'll go into details on each as I go. For now, a few pics :

067_zpskih352cp.jpg

HRM wheels/tires I picked up along time ago (left) to replace poor quality white metal wheels from the GS kit (right) . In the back ground the GS body.

072_zpsgv1vtuxh.jpg

073_zpseeuqz0wu.jpg

Close up of the HRM wheels

074_zps4vpixe0n.jpg

Last week I got some of replacement parts from Jeremy of Clearly Scale that he casted of the GS white metal parts. His parts are very nicely detailed and pretty clean. Only the suspension parts needed some clean up, but that's not an issue.

076_zpscnes9vsw.jpg

Shots of the HRM kit:

082_zpsrgwurgul.jpg

083_zpsakalxtle.jpg

085_zps9mb4jrw3.jpg

Also included in the HRM kit was 2 sets of VRM decals for the 1964-65 Daytona Coupes.

084_zpsovsz0cwv.jpg

The decal sets have a nice booklet that have some detail drawings of the Coupes as raced at various races during the 64/65 Seasons.

086_zpsu60huxjp.jpg

087_zps46cda6ea.jpg

088_zps0urdxxl9.jpg

089_zpsjiub06lt.jpg

The HRM kit is being stripped atm. Update later tonight or tomorrow.

Also, the HRM kit is missing the instruction sheets, so if anyone here who has built or has one in their stash and could scan and email me the instructions I'd be forever indebted to you.

Thanks

David

Small update:

With the body, interior tub, and chassis in the SuperClean bath for a clean up there hasn't been much progress yet. Before going into the bath I noticed an issue I'm going to have going forward, due to improper storage over the years the body, interior and chassis have all twisted. See pics.

As you can see I have some work cut out for me. Sooooo if anyone has any tips on straightening out HRM resin I'd appreciate some tips.

David

Another update:

After about a day and a half in the CSC bath the inside of the HRM body and hood were totally stripped, however the exterior paint, which I figure had been on there for close to 10yrs was hardly touched. Small areas were flaking off but that's about it. So I was able to tracked down some 91% IPA, which isn't really that easy in Canada, had to pick it up at Target in the US, and dropped the HRM body, hood and interior tub into it. It took about an hour to completely remove all the paint, I was totally amazed at how fast it worked. Now as impressive as the IPA was at stripping the age old paint it also had a negative effect. The ventilation scoops on the hood and body, were thinly cast and the IPA made them so soft they lost their shape. Also the resin itself began to soften up, so washed the parts hoping the resin wouldn't soften up any further. I think I got lucky, no damage to the body, just the weather strip on the inside of the engine compartment became abit wavy but once I taped the hood it place it straightened back out. I'm going to give the HRM body a couple of days to air out and hopefully recure.

Some pics: On the left the GS Coupe body with the warped HRM interior tub taped to it to try remove some of the twist from the tub. And on the right the HRM Coupe, taped to the GS interior tub, that's straight, in and effort to remove abit of the twist out of the HRM body.

The GS Coupe body hasn't been stripped yet, and as you can see the IPA really cleaned up the HRM Coupe, looks like its never even been painted.

Comment and Criticisms welcome.

David

What particular race liveries are you building these cars as? 

At this point, Im not 100% sure. I've got 2 bottles of Guardsman Blue already, one from MCW and the other from ScaleFinishes so I have more than enough paint to do both cars guardsman blue. Will likely do the CSX2299 chassis. It finished 1st in class at Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans in '65, also 1st at Le Mans in '64. If I do one of the Viking Blue cars, like the class winner from the '64 Le Mans I'll have to buy more paint, and I already plan on picking up some other aftermarket items for detailing the engine bays so that'll be more money spent. Also I just ordered some replacement parts tonight from Harold from HRM, so I'm already investing more than I had originally planned. That being said, the Daytona Coupes are my favourite cars so abit of over spending can be justified. Atleast till I look at the bank statement this month.

Small update:

The GS coupe has now been stripped, took about 15mins total in the IPA. I decided to order some replacement parts from Harold of HRM for my Daytona Coupe instead of trying to straighten parts, too much work. I also ordered many of the missing components from Harold for the GS Coupe. So until I get those parts in progress with be slow as I don't want to get too deep into building anything without all the pieces on hand.

I did manage to get abit done today though, my HRM kit had an extra hood that was pretty warped that I wasn't able to straighten. So I removed the hood hinges by cutting out a section of the HRM hood.

002_zpstb5svcvj.jpg

I then removed a piece from the GS hood and grafted the hinge section from the HRM hood in place.

003_zpsk4wt9sd0.jpg

I need to add some more putty and sand it out. I'll put some primer on it in the morning and see how it looks. I also added the inner fenders which need some clean up too. But I've got time while I wait for my parts to arrive.

David

Edited by Jhedir6