Model Cars Magazine Forum

Please post pictures of the newest 72 Cutlass indy pace car.

I said it.  There are both a plain grille and the H/O eggcrate grille.   And the uptop.  I didn't take pics because it was a kit for stock and I didn't take it out of the inner bags.  

Am I misremembering that the Supreme kit had a plain grille?  Anyway, the new kit has two grilles, one has a "plain" fine mesh.  I was thinking it was an optional "custom" part in the Supreme kit (black and purple car on box art) but it might be new.    i don't think it is quite right for a 4-4-2 grille but it might be close. 

See my new post below. 

Edited by Brett Barrow

The '72 Hurst Olds, the Cutlass Supreme, and Vista Cruiser came with the same grilles. An egg crate design. The other 1972 non Supremes, and non 4-4-2 equipped Cutlasses came with horizontal bar for the grille. Only the 4-4-2 option packaged came with a fine mesh grille. So are we getting the regular 4-4-2 grille with this reissue? I hope so. The one thing I don't like about the '72 Hurst and Supreme cars is the grille.

Ok, so I just glanced at the kit last week, and I didn't think much of it because I thought the Supreme kit had a plain "custom" optional grille, but it turns out it didn't, and this new kit has been updated with a 4-4-2 grille and emblems on the decal sheet.  They went into full-on Stealth Mode with this addition, they should be making a bigger deal about it, although it does say "build as 442 version" on the box.   

12316677_10205223299449022_3195027600163

12274530_10205223299409021_6970182901443

Ok, so I just glanced at the kit last week, and I didn't think much of it because I thought the Supreme kit had a plain "custom" optional grille, but it turns out it didn't, and this new kit has been updated with a 4-4-2 grille and emblems on the decal sheet.  They went into full-on Stealth Mode with this addition, they should be making a bigger deal about it, although it does say "build as 442 version" on the box. 

Very interesting and put this kit on my shopping list.

Thanks Brett!!

Luc

Wow!  Kudos to Revell for making this addition - they SHOULD make the inclusion of the correct 442 grille very prominent on the box somewhere.  That's going to be a big selling point, since this is the first release that will finally allow a correct 442 build.

We just recently had a discussion about this issue on the original thread from when this kit was first released.  Speaking of which, we have 3 different active threads on this kit right now.  Would be nice to get them combined into one by the moderators...

All right! The grille was my main reason for not buying this kit or the Supreme convertible in their first outings. That grille was always too formal. Representative of a luxury car, rather than a sporty car. Now with the true 4-4-2 grille and proper stripes, I'll be for sure buying this one.

Wow!  Kudos to Revell for making this addition - they SHOULD make the inclusion of the correct 442 grille very prominent on the box somewhere.  That's going to be a big selling point, since this is the first release that will finally allow a correct 442 build.

We just recently had a discussion about this issue on the original thread from when this kit was first released.  Speaking of which, we have 3 different active threads on this kit right now.  Would be nice to get them combined into one by the moderators...

Well if they drew too much attention to it, the Great and Powerful Wizards of Illinois would be admitted they made a goof by putting the wrong grille in the original kit.  It's a very COPO Nova approach...pack a kit with the parts you should have gotten in another kit in the first place. 

Of course broadcasting that the kit now has the correct 4-4-2 grille and decals would probably move quite a few more $27 model kits than they're going to sell otherwise as just a Indy 500 Pace Car with a figure I reckon 78% of builders couldn't care less - let alone want to pay an extra $8 for - about, however see Point 1.

Well if they drew too much attention to it, the Great and Powerful Wizards of Illinois would be admitted they made a goof by putting the wrong grille in the original kit.  It's a very COPO Nova approach...pack a kit with the parts you should have gotten in another kit in the first place. 

Of course broadcasting that the kit now has the correct 4-4-2 grille and decals would probably move quite a few more $27 model kits than they're going to sell otherwise as just a Indy 500 Pace Car with a figure I reckon 78% of builders couldn't care less - let alone want to pay an extra $8 for - about, however see Point 1.

How did they put the wrong grille in the kit? The original releases of both the Hurst and the Supreme had the correct grilles for those models. It's just that some of us liked the looks of the 4-4-2 better than those two. So now they're offering us the option of building a 4-4-2. But, this is not to correct a mistake to the original kits. They had the correct grilles for what they represented.

How did they put the wrong grille in the kit? The original releases of both the Hurst and the Supreme had the correct grilles for those models. It's just that some of us liked the looks of the 4-4-2 better than those two. So now they're offering us the option of building a 4-4-2. But, this is not to correct a mistake to the original kits. They had the correct grilles for what they represented.

Because the first kit could be built as the Hurst Olds OR the 4-4-2.  It shows a built 4-4-2 on the box and included the striping for it, but not the actual grille needed to make a 4-4-2.  Perhaps it's not the wrong grille if you want to be technical, but omission of the OTHER grille that should have been included to build what the box art advertised.

Because the first kit could be built as the Hurst Olds OR the 4-4-2.  It shows a built 4-4-2 on the box and included the striping for it, but not the actual grille needed to make a 4-4-2.  Perhaps it's not the wrong grille if you want to be technical, but omission of the OTHER grille that should have been included to build what the box art advertised.

My mistake. You are right. The original release of the Hurst car does indicate you could built as a regular 4-4-2. They did make a mistake. Thankfully they've corrected it now.

Totally off subject. But, Brett's icon (or what ever you call) reminds me that Dr. Strangelove was on TV tonight. Still a great movie. It's now being followed up with the movie Fail Safe on the same channel. A good movie. But not where near as good as Dr. Strangelove.

I got a bunch of them! 

dr. strangelove current events gif

scott_chews_2.gif

One of my favorite movies.  Thought it made a good avatar because I spend a good part of my day on the phone. 

NIteowl,

I'm not sure who you are 'cause you have no name anywhere that I can find.  Anyway, I had emailed Ed Sexton a year or so ago after some discussions with my club about the original Olds kit they released, and my club had told me that the grille was not correct for the 442.  Ed said that he did not know that there were different grilles between the 442 and the Hurst car.  This is an easy one to miss (I did initially) unless you know the subject matter pretty well.

After a bit of my own research I suggested to Ed that they correct the grille, revise the taillights and release it as a '71 convert with 2 grilles, 2 hoods, and black and white 442 stripes.

Revell screwed up initially, though I hear the kit is quite nice for the Hurst version.  More importantly though, they corrected it in a following release.  Continuing to beat up the 'Great and Powerful Wizards of Illinois' after they fix something is really sort of counter-productive.  I applaud them for acknowledging their mistake and spending some tooling resources to correct the error.  I hope those that want to kitbash the two kits are happy with all the options available.

Steve