Model Cars Magazine Forum

Please post pictures of the newest 72 Cutlass indy pace car.

Just buy one of these from Model Car Garage and your set.

mcg2294.jpg

That's a great suggestion, Mike.  However, how much effort does it take to mold separate 442 and H/O emblems instead of using decals?  It's another $20.00 to spend to make the kit the way it should have been in the first place.  Revell did the same with the '50 Olds 88.  When I checked a while back, I couldn't get Model Car Garage emblems for that kit.  I AM glad to have some of these kits that I never expected to ever see - even with these minor faults.

That's a great suggestion, Mike.  However, how much effort does it take to mold separate 442 and H/O emblems instead of using decals?  It's another $20.00 to spend to make the kit the way it should have been in the first place.  Revell did the same with the '50 Olds 88.  When I checked a while back, I couldn't get Model Car Garage emblems for that kit.  I AM glad to have some of these kits that I never expected to ever see - even with these minor faults.

actually you can get a MCG kit for the 50 Olds

actually you can get a MCG kit for the 50 Olds

Correct. Bob had some problems getting it where he wanted it, but it finally went up for sale within the last few months. Looks like a nice fret. I've never played with photo-etch, but I don't like the decals in the 88, so I'm probably going to grab it and give it a shot.

Question that applies to the 88 and the Cutlass: anyone have any suggestions for keeping the OLDSMOBILE lettering spaced correctly? The only thing I can think of is to cut off the exterior nibs on the O and E, apply the letters, and then remove the spacers, and that doesn't strike me as being too smart an idea. 

Charlie Larkin

Correct. Bob had some problems getting it where he wanted it, but it finally went up for sale within the last few months. Looks like a nice fret. I've never played with photo-etch, but I don't like the decals in the 88, so I'm probably going to grab it and give it a shot.

Question that applies to the 88 and the Cutlass: anyone have any suggestions for keeping the OLDSMOBILE lettering spaced correctly? The only thing I can think of is to cut off the exterior nibs on the O and E, apply the letters, and then remove the spacers, and that doesn't strike me as being too smart an idea. 

Charlie Larkin

I do a number of things to get the spacing right. Take a pencil rubbing of the old trim and reference marks so you can mark out their location when the time comes. A piece of fine line tape under the letters keeps them straight as you apply them. If the trim is large enough to hide the hole like door locks, I drill a small hole with a #80 bit in the center of the lock cylinder before sanding it off. 

Revell screwed up initially, though I hear the kit is quite nice for the Hurst version.  More importantly though, they corrected it in a following release.  Continuing to beat up the 'Great and Powerful Wizards of Illinois' after they fix something is really sort of counter-productive.  I applaud them for acknowledging their mistake and spending some tooling resources to correct the error.  I hope those that want to kitbash the two kits are happy with all the options available.

Steve

Yes Steve, but without them advertising that it has the grille it was lacking, and from the comments here that bothered more than just me, who beside the diehard forum regulars will ever know it's in there?  Indy 500 stuff is aimed more at the collectors market (see all the Round2 Indy Corvettes that were repeatedly released), plus the added upcharge of the Linda Vaughn figure.  The biggest selling point of this kit is the grill that lets you build the 4-4-2 you were denied in 2007, and it's not mentioned anywhere on the box, or in Revell literature about the release.  If Bill hadn't asked for pictures, and Brett hadn't taken some, at what point would ANYONE have found out? Because I personally already own both of the earlier kits, so this one was not on my radar as I don't need a THIRD Cutlass Convertible with an Indy 500 tie-in and figure I'd never use.  I DO however need a 4-4-2 grille...