Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW! An advance and detailed look at the final production version of the new Moebius Models 1961 Pontiac Ventura kit....

tim boyd

Thanks to Dave Metzner at Moebius Models, a package showed up on my porch yesterday, unannounced.  Gee...could it be the final production version of the much-anticipated 1961 Pontiac Ventura?  

Ripping open the box....yep, sure is.  

Fresh from a salon photography session this morning, click on this link for 48 full size images with commentary for each image (use the "Roll" feature to expeditiously review each image and the caption that goes with it.)  

I think you guys are gonna really like this one....but take a look and form your own opinion.DSC 0300  

Thank for looking....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Tim! Thanks so much for this review! It looks just as good as when I saw up close and personal the final test shot at this past NNL East. One of, if not THE BEST Moebius car kit I've seen-------I can't find a single thing wrong with it!

I definitely have one on order...........I'll probably pick up a second kit as well for good measure, it's that good! B)

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks for the 'first look' Tim.

I have been anticipating this one ever since the announcement a year or so ago. I am no expert but I am liking what I see - a lot.

I just have to wait a while till we can get them in the great white north.

Looking forward to seeing a build review or two - I hear Mr Anderson also has one too.

I am in for one if they are here by Christmas. I think there is a descrepancy in the instructions. The wheel hubs look like they should insert into the main wheel ring from behind to look right. The details in the rings and hubs suggest this. The rings have exposed bolt details and the hubs have round blobs that look like mounting points. I may be wrong but it is just my observation.

Alan, I happen to have a pair of very good sprue cutters, which would make a nice clean cut right where the sprue joins the trim. You still might have to very carefully, file/sand down the "bumps" but personally, I'd rather those supports be there than not. There's nothing more frustrating than to have a warped body/roof due to poor engineering.

I'm not sure if this would have been a better idea, but perhaps the supports could have been molded to the underside of the trim. Either which way, you still have the task of filing/sanding down the plastic so that the glass will fit correctly.

Just my 2¢ worth.........

I have just one question. How do I get that 'sturdy' windscreen support out, without boogering up the upper W/S trim piece. Looks like a really easy opportunity to  make a totally fatal error.

(once the upper chrome strip is buggered, you ARE toast!)

you're looking at the recess the windshield rests on, not the "upper chrome strip"   It appears that the chrome trim is on the glass itself....

Edited by mike 51

I have just one question. How do I get that 'sturdy' windscreen support out, without boogering up the upper W/S trim piece. Looks like a really easy opportunity to  make a totally fatal error.

(once the upper chrome strip is buggered, you ARE toast!)

A razor saw is the way to go.

A razor saw is the way to go.

Ditto.

Wow!   This kit has to be the gold standard for the industry.  

And, all the close competition for that honor comes from . . . Moebius.  

What does that tell everyone (including the other kit manufacturers)?

Kudos, Dave & crew!

Danno, you took the words right out of my mouth! I made a comment on the "other board" about the Trumpeter kits. Unfortunately, Trumpeter had some very neat subjects come out in the last 10 years or so, only for them to be woefully lacking in the details. Some errors in certain kits are so bad, that it makes you wonder how/why it got past the approval stage.

Moebius on the other hand has been actually listening to what some of us have been saying out here in the "lunatic fringe". While the subject matter may not be everyone's cup of tea, there's no doubt that they've certainly raised the bar and then some with their kits. And what they've come out with as far as kits, the other manufacturers have poo-pooed as thinking they wouldn't "sell".

Personally, this looks to be the best kit they've had to date just in the execution alone!

Personally, this is the most exciting kit to come along in ages! So gratifying to see that it looks right from every angle. Congratulations to Dave Metzner and the other folks at Moebius on this great kit! You've made this former '61 Pontiac owner, and proud "rivet-counter," very happy.

Thanks, Tim, for the well-documented preview.

It would appear that Dave , et al. , have really knocked one out of the 'park !

WOW !!!

The fact that Moebius not only reworked the tooling to the Nth degree , but they also added the seating option ! Not to minimise those decadent 8 lug K-H wheels -- as they'll receive receive their fair share of kudos -- but the overall effort in making sure that this much needed subject is dialled-in --rolling stock included-- shows how dedicated Dave and the team are to producing quality products .

Those tyres are perfect ! Most beautiful tyres I've seen in a while , easily .

Thanks for the great review , Tim !