Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han 66 Olds Toronado question...

I have come across this kit for sale, but it is partially assembled, one windshield pillar is broken and seller cannot guarantee that it is 100% complete.

So I was just wondering how rare/desirable/valuable this particular kit is... Just to know what sort of money to bid considering the state.

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,

MATIJA

It's hard to tell how well this model was assembled, so without more (or better) pictures, I would assume the worst-- the builder used too much glue, misaligned many of the parts, and it's going to be a labor of love to make the model look good. I would pass on this one based on the A-pillar damage alone, but some people don't mind attempting the repair and all of the finesse work which goes along with it.

You will have to decide what it's worth to you, but in my opinion, it's not rare, nor is it very valuable in its current condition. In mint original condition it would bring $200+ easily, but this model is far from mint. I suspect many of the drivetrain, engine, and suspension parts could be scavenged from '67-'70 kits, too, if your plan is to restore it.

If you are looking to make some money on it by flipping it, don't pay more than $15.00 

My guess is that you'll never get it for less than the a fore mentioned $20.00, but give it a shot.

It may be well worth more than 20 bucks to someone just in need of a hood, rear bumper or a good interior.

I would also pass myself because of the A-pillar.

I hate fixing pillars & avoid it whenever possible.

The Johan '66 Toronado is by no means easy to find, or cheap when you find a good one, but probably not as rare or valuable as other kits.

Steve

Thanks for all your replies! :D

The thing is, I'm not quite sure what I would do with the kit. I do enjoy restoring old models, especially if they are rare/out of production like the Jo-Han kits, but this specific car is not particularly appealing to me so flipping it is another option I am considering...

One thing to consider is that would should be a pretty easy fix.

You don't need an original body for the pillar. One from the new tool AMT '66 Riviera should work fine. Also, the old tool '69 will work, in fact, the glass from the AMT '69 Riv fits pretty good in those JoHan Toros, I've tried it. If you do go that route, I'd replace both A pillars, just so they're 100% the same.

I see Both drive shafts and they look fine

But, one Stock hubcap is Broken

The center is popped out

NOT as easy a fix!!

Is that part there, and how damaged are the two parts!!!

I have a couple of this kit, though only in AMT 67 boxes.

It is good to know the 66 & 69 Riv windshields fit.