Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rebooting

So I've decided to do a few simple builds because the last two that I did had some extensive mods on them and I made more than a few stupid mistakes on them.  Failure to dry fit, getting glue on a windshield, and breaking, or losing critical parts.  I need to slow my roll and get back to basics. 

I've got a nearly finished '69 Camaro to finish and a complete but trim and decals Viper ACR.  Both had issues that made me shelve them but I'll finish them off first.  

Have any of you had to do a reboot?

I'm rebooting as we speak! I'm nearly finished a '53 Chevy Bel Air, and I've made more mistakes on this kit than the first model I ever built! Smeared super glue on the paint, only sits on 3 tires, and many other problems. All the sub-assemblies were OK, but the final assembly has been a nightmare! I just started a "Model King" Lindberg '64 Plymouth Belvedere, going slow and hoping to put the gremlins behind. (Although the tail lights are missing, I hope it's not a sign of things to come!).

Congrats to you fellas! It says alot about you as builders (and as folks in general) that you are willing to objectively view your own work, and call it like you see it.

I think you guys just passed a milestone on the way to building ever-improving models. Kudos!

Keep it up, and keep us posted on your progress.

I absolutely agree with you bisc63. It takes a lot of will power to sit back and say ( hey wait a minute I need to slow down ). To me that takes a very strong person to accept that in themselves. And also tells me a lot about a person too. So I congratulate you for sitting back and Rebooting. I, myself have gotten in waaaay over my head with some build's and had to put them unfinished back into the box until I was ready  ( more experience on my part ) to finish. So yes I have had to Reboot many, many times and it just makes me better in the long run. Thank you.   Jeff 

I absolutely have had to do that on several occasions with models that just did not go together the way I had planned.  I currently have a Modelhaus resin '56 Dodge kit that is awaiting its second go-round.  I messed up my first attempt at a 3-tone paint job and interior detailing.  After a few days in the Purple Pond, washing and drying, it sits aside until I'm ready to tackle it again.  I'm working on something else in the meantime. 

I think I need a complete reboot for this hobby.My builds are getting worse as I get older.Because of many reasons I don't get to spend as much time at the model desk as I'd like to spend there and what few skills I have are suffering.Lately I've gone to building some of those pre painted snap and/or glue kits and just adding some paint details to them to try to refresh some of basic skills.After a while I'll get back to some mild kit bashing. I hope to eventually be skilled enough to tackle the Gunze Sangyo Ferrari 250 GTO that's been in my stash for years.

Edited by ZTony8

Funny you guys brought up the "reboot" idea. I've been looking over the stash for something relatively simple and straightforward to do an out-of-the-box build on...just to finish something.

Most all my builds run into heavy mods and they regularly get bogged down by the engineering and research I like to put into them to make them as realistic and 1:1 feasible as possible.

The result is, though I really enjoy the work, NOTHING ever gets finished. I'm getting a little frustrated from never ever completing anything, and I think a straight box-build ((just doing everything right, and adding a few necessary details...like plug wires, etc.) might be good for me to start enjoying this stuff a little more. Sure would be nice to be able to see one "under glass".

Right now I'm leaning towards the Fiat dragster in the old AMT double kit. Cool little car, not a ton of work required to make it nice, and room for some simple detailing.

:blink: Tom, that Van looked GREAT!!!!!! LOL (Hopefully that was BEFORE your last posting on it in the build!)

I'm not sure I'm able to "reboot" in the present time nor in the future, my mind just don't work that way "click, click, click, click, -reboot, thats not in my vocabulary, meaning un-known" LOL

I'm in WAY to deep to try to do a simple build..... I just wouldn't be able to stand it......Ohh the humanity of it.....

:blink: Tom, that Van looked GREAT!!!!!! LOL (Hopefully that was BEFORE your last posting on it in the build!)

No worries John!  That was "Take One"  more than a year ago.  I had the van all done in light blue.  Decals in place, all trim painted and I clear coated it.  The Testors One Coat Clear reacted badly with the Duplicolor on the model and drew the red dye from the plastic,  ruining the paint job. So into the drink it went!  The board recommended I put a barrier coat of silver on it, so I did.  And once I saw it I liked the van in silver so it stayed silver!

Yes. My ambitions get the best of me too often in ALL of my hobbies.. not just this one. But this one does get me good. lol

I will probably take a break after my Crusher Camaro is done. I've tried lots of new things on it and also driven myself crazy with it. I might just do a basic kit, or take a break in general. I also have 2 commission builds I need to finish too... so maybe those? I'm not sure. I have about 175 unbuilt kits and sometimes that seems like a burden. If I build one a month (which is my average) it will take me at least 15 years to finish them all... so I have to force myself to get moving!! And that's not counting all the rebuilders I have waiting in boxes!!

No worries John!  That was "Take One"  more than a year ago.  I had the van all done in light blue.  Decals in place, all trim painted and I clear coated it.  The Testors One Coat Clear reacted badly with the Duplicolor on the model and drew the red dye from the plastic,  ruining the paint job. So into the drink it went!  The board recommended I put a barrier coat of silver on it, so I did.  And once I saw it I liked the van in silver so it stayed silver!

PHEWWWWWW I had thought for a second. As the build thread in the last pic I seen it looked GREAT, thank GOD LOL Yeah Duplicolor doesn't like Testors spray at all... its because of the type paint the Duplicolor is! -ALWAYS spray a barrier/primer first, ALWAYS LOL

Okay, so I don't feel so alone.  Thanks for all the input.  

I looked at my Viper yesterday and I remember now that my window masking effort fell a little short so I got ticked and stopped working on it. I will finish it first because I want to finish the three unfinished kits I have before starting anything new.  At least...that's the plan.

Okay, so I don't feel so alone.  Thanks for all the input.  

I looked at my Viper yesterday and I remember now that my window masking effort fell a little short so I got ticked and stopped working on it. I will finish it first because I want to finish the three unfinished kits I have before starting anything new.  At least...that's the plan.

No Worries!  Some of us have unfinished projects that are 20 years old!  In the last two years I've finished a few that were sitting better than 10-15 years!  

I do two types of reboots.

The first is setting all the long term projects aside and do a quick build. It's usually one of my non-shiny rods and it's done in around 40 hours.

The other reboot I do every 5 years or so. And that is, go through all my WIP's and pull out the ones that I have completely, utterly and irrevocably lost interest in. Then I get rid of them. I either trade them to friends or sell them for $5 at my local swap meet. 

I might be weird, but a WIP that I'm not working on or interested in, is a source of stress. It bugs me. Unstarted kits do not though. It's very liberating to take them to a swap meet, sell them and buy new kits.

The other reboot I do every 5 years or so. And that is, go through all my WIP's and pull out the ones that I have completely, utterly and irrevocably lost interest in. Then I get rid of them. I either trade them to friends or sell them for $5 at my local swap meet. 

I don't have a problem having unfinished projects.  I keep them all in boxes on the shelves right above my bench so I don't lose touch with them.  Ocassionally I root through the boxes and sometimes find new interest in an old project.  I have a few that I worked on a bit every few years and put them back on the shelf. Sometimes I didn't have the skill level to do the next step, sometimes I couldn't figure out what the problem was or what to do next.   Years later, I immediately see the issue and now have the skills to fix it.  My Volare messenger car was one of those. I probably started on it 20 years ago and every few years, I'd get a step or two completed.  FInally last year I decided to bear down and finish it.  I'm glad I didn't give up on it!

Other times I just like to look at my old work and see how I've progressed as a modeler.  Either way, they don't take up a lot of space, so I hang onto them.   Ya never know!