Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats your work area like?

here is my workshop, finally finished building the spray booth after getting tired of breathing in the fumes....pretty happy with it.  The small containers on the table are water, one is my sanding tub with a small pump and hose, one with water and soap, another with just clean water.  I have no water near this room, so have to have containers for everything. The box next to the paint booth is a drying box =(

Turned out pretty good i thought

2015-11-30 18.17.42.jpg

2015-11-30 18.17.52.jpg

2015-11-30 18.18.04.jpg

I also built a companion bench, for a buddy that routinely visited on Saturday nights for some hobby goodness. I now live in the home of that friend, and had to downsize considerably in the process. My current construction area is the dining room table, but over this winter will be building an L-shaped bench approx. 10' x 12' for our use, complete with sufficient storage to house all of my tools and paints, with a separate paint booth, exhausting through a dryer duct.  

Edited by Roadrunner

Which part of it? :blink: My "shop" is A-L-W-A-Y-S a dang mess, as I'm ALWAYS working/building something whether that be models or something craft-like for the wife...... BUT anyway.....

Machine bench and computer area seen good here, to the left of the computer area, is where I do my molding work!

This shows my small "general" bench there to the right, and to the left is a better shot of the molding area.

Molding area! -Fridge is fulla chemicals, and soda once in awhile.... Its to keep the thinners cool and the wife uses the freezer of it for over flow....

Valuable space here, BUT the Shop Mascot needed a bed to keep him out of harms way (poor little guy got thinner in his eye once time at my wifes work bench so. This was a must, ($350 after the Vet trip that night!)

Then last but not least, I have 2 "storage" areas, one really is a crawl space, that you go through the doors in the wall at the fridge.

The other is a true "walk in" area, this is what greets you there:

Which right now is a REAL mess, I wanted to go and get the "re-setting" of my shop done over the summer but the accidentto my hands did not allow me to get done what I had planned, SO, till I'm able its a mess! (most my supplies for the rest of the "re-setting" are stored in there as well as other things that were in the shop and belong to the 2 other areas I was working on!

Wow y'all have some great work spaces. My work space is where ever I can sit, at a table, desk, floor I'm not picky. Lets see I have an old cafeteria tray and cutting mat. A bucket of rattle cans (lots of red).  Found the old desk organizer, I was using a shoe box. No part box It may have been trashed:wacko:.  All gets pulled out and put away every time. 

You can take the man out of the military, guys, but you cant take the military out of the man.;)

Every thing has a place and all in its place. Oorah!

IMG_4382.thumb.jpg.8573f172fb4b8ebdb3ef9

I'm currently working out of my apartment bedroom. Thats my spray booth on the right but I only use it for spraying bodies.

20150927_113334_zpsgkemhldv.jpg

nice!!  I use to work out of an apartment too! in fact, I slept in the dinning room because the only bedroom was the model room. I still covered the entire floor with a heavy painters tarp, and nailed it all around the baseboards!

Which part of it? :blink: My "shop" is A-L-W-A-Y-S a dang mess, as I'm ALWAYS working/building something whether that be models or something craft-like for the wife...... BUT anyway.....

Machine bench and computer area seen good here, to the left of the computer area, is where I do my molding work!

This shows my small "general" bench there to the right, and to the left is a better shot of the molding area.

Molding area! -Fridge is fulla chemicals, and soda once in awhile.... Its to keep the thinners cool and the wife uses the freezer of it for over flow....

Valuable space here, BUT the Shop Mascot needed a bed to keep him out of harms way (poor little guy got thinner in his eye once time at my wifes work bench so. This was a must, ($350 after the Vet trip that night!)

Then last but not least, I have 2 "storage" areas, one really is a crawl space, that you go through the doors in the wall at the fridge.

The other is a true "walk in" area, this is what greets you there:

Which right now is a REAL mess, I wanted to go and get the "re-setting" of my shop done over the summer but the accidentto my hands did not allow me to get done what I had planned, SO, till I'm able its a mess! (most my supplies for the rest of the "re-setting" are stored in there as well as other things that were in the shop and belong to the 2 other areas I was working on!

NICE!!  Its amazing to me how most work areas resemble each others across the globe -very cool and interresting!

Edited by Dann Tier

My work areas are always very clean - I am neat by nature. But also, when I was building in my last apartment, I didn't have a true permanent work area. I did everything at the kitchen table, but I had friends over regularly enough I kept all my tools in small tackle boxes and worked on a large framed corkboard. It took me just minutes to get home from work and have everything clear. I painted in a spare bathroom then.

In a house now, and married to a beautiful gal who loves my hobbies, but not any sort of mess, so my old habits have continued. I no longer use the board to pick up/clean up, and sit at my good sized metal office desk to model, but all the work is highly portable and easy to stow. Now I paint in the kitchen, at a bay window so I can open everything up and get fans blowing out.

Edited by Harry Joy

-Thanks Dann, mine really is the 3rd floor of our apartment, that the landlord is AWESOME to let me go about it as I see fit (I used to do Building trades), and the apartment gets that same treatment so, hes all good for it. -ANYWAY, that "Walk-in" storage area, is 8 and half feet, by 18 feet..... GO figure it was unused "eve" space in the attic! Which the attic, really was to be a storage area when we first moved in a long time ago! BUT it has a window that allows me to have AC, as well if the door down stairs is let open, it gets half ways decent in the winter (I insulated it well within the first 6 months I moved in with the land lord giving me materials. its got "Attic Blanket" on every wall, and the un-finished side of the ceiling! Then about 3 years ago, I cut the doorway into the new un-used store room that has my Testors paint rack in it, as well as 3 others needing assembled and filled (I have over 1500 colors of paint and 3,000 bottles to store!) NO, I don't collect paint I just have an array for whenever the time comes and a lot of times I mix my own colors! Ya might say I own stock in the Testors corp and they don't even know it LOL